đź“° Auto News Honda CR-Z may get turbo gas engine :noes:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Here's to hoping it comes to the U.S. Honda really needs some added performance in their lineup.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=254419

Hot petrol Honda CR-Z planned

Honda is set to provide its CR-Z with an all-new, turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine option as part of plans to broaden the compact coupé’s appeal in key world markets, including the UK.

Currently available with just the one engine option — a hybrid that mates a 112bhp 1.5-litre petrol engine with a 14bhp electric motor — the CR-Z is earmarked to receive an all-new turbocharged 1.6-litre powerplant that is currently undergoing development at Honda’s Tochigi R&D centre.

Honda-CR-1121010458345871600x1060.jpg

The new engine, which is also planned for the Jazz, Civic and Accord, forms an integral part of a downsizing program instigated at Honda. With forced induction and Honda’s patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft timing system, it is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-litre engine from a capacity of just 1.6 litres.

Autocar sources in Japan say the new engine is likely to come in two guises: a standard 160bhp model and a highly tuned 200bhp version aimed at matching the now defunct 2.0-litre VTEC engine in the Civic Type R. This more potent spec is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R, tentatively due out late next year.

Plans for more than a hybrid engine for the Japanese Car of the Year come as sales of the two-door coupé have started to sag in the firm’s all-important home market.

Honda first hinted that it was planning to add another petrol engine when it unveiled the CR-Z Hybrid R concept at the recent SEMA tuning show in Las Vegas. Unlike the proposed production version, though, that car ran a turbocharged version of the CR-Z’s existing 1.5-litre engine rather than the new 1.6.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a good thing for sure. The crz currently is kinda disappointing to be honest. It would open up that rear hatch for some actual cargo too like the crx was.

I think this is more in line with how I think mpg cars should be; not these shitty heavy hybrid piles of junk.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You know... I gotta point out the fact that Honda had a 160hp 1.6 liter back in 1989 for the Civic CRX SI-R, which was then in the US Market Delsol-Vtec from 95-97.......

Why is a turbo needed to put out the same power they made in the early 90's... They were already PZEV Cars back then............

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Honda is behind lately in engine tech. Those hp specs seem low when to me considering that other mfg's have small displacement direct injection turbocharged engines that make considerably more hp

I don't understand why they aren't making better use of their current generation RDX Turbo motor in other applications...

Per Consumer guide:

Turbocharged dohc I4 2.3 / 140 240hp / 260tq 5-speed automatic: 17/22

That would engine would be a BLAST in a current generation civic or CR-Z, and would be on par with things such as the Speed3/SRT-4's(Gone I think)/Cobalt SS(I know its gone also) and its been around since 2007.....

Granted... 2 of those 3 are gone... Maybe they were ahead of the curve and knew the market for high hp/tq FWD's would dry up?

I don't understand why they aren't making better use of their current generation RDX Turbo motor in other applications...

Per Consumer guide:

Turbocharged dohc I4 2.3 / 140 240hp / 260tq 5-speed automatic: 17/22

That would engine would be a BLAST in a current generation civic or CR-Z, and would be on par with things such as the Speed3/SRT-4's(Gone I think)/Cobalt SS(I know its gone also) and its been around since 2007.....

Granted... 2 of those 3 are gone... Maybe they were ahead of the curve and knew the market for high hp/tq FWD's would dry up?

Was thinking the very same thing as I was reading it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info