đź“° Auto News Leaked GM document shows automaker plans to sell China-built cars to U.S. consumers

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
A planning document given to lawmakers by General Motors reportedly shows that the Detroit-based automaker plans to ship 17,335 autos from China for sale in the U.S. in 2011. If GM succeeds in importing vehicles to the U.S. from China, it could be the first automaker to do so.

The document doesn't show which vehicle would be brought over from the land of the Great Wall (we'd take the Buick Regal, above), but it does provide GM's volume plans through 2014. By that time, GM plans to triple its China to U.S. exports to 51,546 units. While 51,546 sounds like a lot of cars, it only represents 1.6% of the planned 3.1 million (perhaps optimistic) sales the General is expecting five years from now.

Regardless of the quantity of vehicles coming in from China, union leaders are none too pleased with the development, says Automotive News. The 12-page document also showed increased production in Mexico, with annual units rising from 317,763 in 2010 to 501,316 in 2014. South Korea, which will likely make new vehicles like the Chevrolet Spark, will increase production from 36,967 in 2010 to 157,126 in 2014. In an open letter, UAW legislative director Alan Reuther has gone on record saying that GM "should not be taking taxpayers' money simply to finance the outsourcing of jobs to other countries."

While many would expect the U.S. to be the big loser here, virtually all of the related production loss occurs in Canada. According to the 12-page document, U.S. production would continue to represent two thirds of the overall sales volume for the next five years, while Canada is slated to lose 101,000 units.

[Autoblog]

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
People can say that the US workforce and/or Unions are not to blame, but I feel like this should speak volumes to all those who mistakenly believe our manufacturing practices and workforce are in any way superior to their foreign counterparts.

It's disappointing to watch video clips from manufacturing plants in other countries. The workers bust their asses so much harder, shit is so much more efficient, and they're more than likely not paid nearly as well as the guys here at home. We can puff out our patriotic chests as much as we'd like, and give each other high-fives for buying American made goods, but the industry is still broken, and overwhelmingly needs big time changes to be made if we ever plan on competing with our overseas competitors.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Well duh, we kinda helped rebuild the world after WWII. But as the generations get more and more removed from those people that did actually deserve to take a break we find that people are becoming lazier.

It's not just the automotive or manufacturing sector either...Panda's "bitching about boobs in avatars" thread just reinforces the issue. There's so many people who spend their "work" day surfing TCG rather than actually working. I've certainly never had a job where that was accepted or encouraged on company time, and the fact that there are so many companies that this is ok with further alarms me, and illustrates the problem.

red gtx

Regular
Jul 3, 2007
Elgin
It's not just the automotive or manufacturing sector either...Panda's "bitching about boobs in avatars" thread just reinforces the issue. There's so many people who spend their "work" day surfing TCG rather than actually working. I've certainly never had a job where that was accepted or encouraged on company time, and the fact that there are so many companies that this is ok with further alarms me, and illustrates the problem.

But Bush made it better for companies to take their business overseas for all the tax breaks....fucking the Americn citizen. You do make a great point that most like to "take a break" at work....so it goes both ways.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
But Bush made it better for companies to take their business overseas for all the tax breaks....fucking the Americn citizen. You do make a great point that most like to "take a break" at work....so it goes both ways.

don't even start that bullshit. Just because companies outsourced does not make it Bush's fault, it was the best for the business's bottom line, because labor was cheaper, and they worked harder, end of story.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
People can say that the US workforce and/or Unions are not to blame, but I feel like this should speak volumes to all those who mistakenly believe our manufacturing practices and workforce are in any way superior to their foreign counterparts.

It's disappointing to watch video clips from manufacturing plants in other countries. The workers bust their asses so much harder, shit is so much more efficient, and they're more than likely not paid nearly as well as the guys here at home. We can puff out our patriotic chests as much as we'd like, and give each other high-fives for buying American made goods, but the industry is still broken, and overwhelmingly needs big time changes to be made if we ever plan on competing with our overseas competitors.

i like this.

look at any union job anything.

downtown for the boat show, dudes drop what they are doing for a 15 minute break every (what seems like) hour...

you pass a union job site, there are 29 people standing watching one dude dig a hole...

seriously. unions had their place back when working conditions were actually dangerous and there were unfair practices, back when people worked hard.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
i like this.

look at any union job anything.

downtown for the boat show, dudes drop what they are doing for a 15 minute break every (what seems like) hour...

you pass a union job site, there are 29 people standing watching one dude dig a hole...

seriously. unions had their place back when working conditions were actually dangerous and there were unfair practices, back when people worked hard.

Werd, when setting up for the auto show, we couldn't move our stuff in, cause the union guys were all on lunch..... then 15 minutes after we started, they went on break..... and god forbid you move any of your companies stuff in a union building, we got yelled at soo many times

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If it wasn't for the my union i wouldn't be making $11/hr plus an automatic 16% off all sales. Plus the people that tack on an extra amount on top of that. When spring break month was going on i was averaging $25/hr for walking around a hotel delivering food.

exactly.

you just proved my point to a "t".

you were getting paid way too much for a job you just described yourself indirectly as not hard work.

getting paid 25$ an hour to deliver food.

give me a break.

but yeah, props to you to get paid way too much for way too little work.

(still love ya to death poopshannianianinaigans.)

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
exactly.

you were getting paid way too much for a job you just described yourself indirectly as not hard work.

give me a break.

Word.

There's NO reason a guy in a GM plant should make 50 an hour to tighten a bolt, or that a non-union person on a jobsite should not be allowed to work for that sole reason, etc.

Unions are ridiculous

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
exactly.

give me a break.

And thats only working as a server for on four days a week (two of those days sharing the tips with another server). If i was the senior server i'd make a lot more. His job (when business isn't slow) is one of the highest paying jobs in the hotel. If he retires i'm going to demote myself.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
will new GMs come shipped with these stickers?

made_in_china_sticker.jc.03.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info