Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[Source: Autoblog]

Bionic Woman. Knight Rider. And now....Top Gear? NBC, America's remake network, has ordered a pilot of an Americanized Top Gear. Expect to see all the usual Top Gear conventions, including three presenters; a masked Stig-like driver; a private test track; taping in a hangar before a live audience; and (probably D-List) celebs driving midsize cars. Unfortunately, you won't see the program's British hosts, Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond. And this is where it gets dicey. You see, those guys are the reason Top Gear is what it is. They're clever and witty, and they endear themselves to gearheads with segments like Clarkson's hilarious Peel P50 "review". NBC's going to have a hard time finding US hosts who can replicate that vibe without being relentlessly annoying in the process. As BBC remakes go, we truly hope that a US-flavored Top Gear succeeds like The Office, but we're concerned that it might just turn into another Coupling.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I have a feeling when it does go through, it will be painful for some of us -- who have actually watched UK's Top Gear. But for noobs who have never seen the UK version, it will be a good show that will likely creat a following in the younger generation of car nuts (14-18).

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Clarkson and May are journalists, while Hamster is, well, Hamster. I don't want to see some hack actor pretending to know about cars hosting the show on NBC, which is probably what they'll do.

I initially hated Rich from Pinks, but that show has grown on me. Especially since the All-Out series.

SHOmuff

Doing the damn thing.
Oct 22, 2007
Wheaton
Leno would be a good option considering he's giving up his show at the end of '09. Gotta keep busy. I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes Jesse James or Jimmy Shine. While both are good at what they do, both think they're way cool. Those two wouldn't be my first choice, however they are entertaining.

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
I think it would fail miserably...And If they do produce that show we dont need any celebs doing the driving and reviews. Well maybe Leno cause he is a real car buff...but jesse james or jimmy shine would be terrible with that platform of a show.

Just leave it to the euros to do that show its much more entertaining with their accents, plus they have access to more weird cars then Ive ever seen here in the states.

Just my .02

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think it would fail miserably...And If they do produce that show we dont need any celebs doing the driving and reviews. Well maybe Leno cause he is a real car buff...but jesse james or jimmy shine would be terrible with that platform of a show.

Just leave it to the euros to do that show its much more entertaining with their accents, plus they have access to more weird cars then Ive ever seen here in the states.

Just my .02

dot.

i could care less how the new ford five hundred drives on a test track :rofl:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
dot.

i could care less how the new ford five hundred drives on a test track :rofl:

It's called a Taurus. :squint:

:rofl: Fucking ford Wishey-Washey CEO's

I can just picture the first old person to walk into a ford dealership asking to buy a taurus and being told they have the 500 now, and them refusing it saying they want a taurus.

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
but jesse james or jimmy shine would be terrible with that platform of a show.

Defiantly agree with you there. Jay leno would be an amazing choice, and he is already with NBC. you have to keep a few things in mind if you are NBC

A) They need to be available, Jessie James and Jimmy both already have their own Shows, Jay's is ending soon

B) Being in the area would be a perk.

C) what made Top Gear such a hit was the wild variety of the hosts, a TV actor, an auto enthusiast/news paper columnist, and a Pianist (Who does other stuff too) and they each have VERY different views, so you'd have to capture that aspect of the program as well

D) The hosts need to be already well known for their opinions to matter to the general public, Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond all do a large number of things aside from Top gear and are stars in the UK.

So basically I doubt they will do the show even close to how the british show is laid out, it'd still be fun to watch I'm sure, but it will probably flop unless they capture the key elements of the original.

(I would LOVE to see some more american challenges, especially after watching the 'alabama' episode of the british top gear where they have to buy a car for $1000 and drive it through alabama without being shot.)

TopGear_meets_Alabama.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info