đź“° Auto News Speculation for 2008: Ford and Chrysler to merge?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[Source: Autoblog]

Chrysler and Ford have been at the top of the headlines all year long for various reasons, with Ford continuing to slim down by selling off its PAG brands, while Chrysler got dumped by Daimler and went private at the hands of Cerberus Capital Management. 2008 looks to be an equally interesting year in the auto industry, and a recent article in Fortune by senior editor Alex Taylor III suggests that a merger between Chrysler and Ford could be in the cards for the coming year. Talk about your haymakers.

Much of the speculation regarding Chrysler surrounds how Cerberus intends to get itself out from under the prolific paperweight that is the Pentastar. Financial types still feel Cerberus is out to make a quick buck, and that long-term ownership is highly unlikely. We're no big business experts, but it looks to us as though the three headed dog has a very limited list of potential buyers out there, so throwing a blind-folded dart that lands on the Blue Oval is as good a guess as any. It's a crazy Chrysler news day anyway, as TTAC is reporting that Cerberus may be preparing to sue Daimler for tricking the investment firm into buying what a thought was an automaker with nowhere to go but up.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
SCREW THAT NOISE!!! the last article i read about chrysler was about a month ago and talked about how they are cuttin their lineup almost in half (no more duplicate models with differant names) but they are expecting to be out of trouble with the challenger coming out and something like 30% of the economy cars going diesel - didnt sound like they were planning on merging - but i dont have a crystal ball so...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So far I've read detailed articles about why GM is interested in buying them, and why nissan/renault are interested in buying them, ford doesn't have anywhere NEAR enough capital to buy that company as it sits right now and turn it all around. Nor would I ever buy a ford car again if they did.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Chrysler just killed the Magnum, Pacifica, Crossfire and PT Cruiser. They've also cut shifts at numerous plants, and will lay off about 17.5 percent of its hourly waged workers and 37 percent of it's contract workers in 2008 ... nuf said

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Those were nice and all, but the Magnum was simply badass -- I really liked driving that car, especially the SRT8. They could have easily killed one of the two Jeeps that are based off the Caliber and no one would have cared.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info