Leonia N.J. to Ban Drivers Who Don't Live There

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Here's a weird story. Leonia N.J. is on a path that GPS systems use to get drivers to their destinations. Officials say traffic is a nightmare and they have the answer. They are going to ban all drivers who don't live in the town from using their roads. Residents will get a yellow tag. Non residents can be ticketed ($200).

This one should end up in court. It's a speed trap taken to extremes. They collect $200 as you pass GO.

Navigation apps are supposed to make driving experiences better by suggesting shortcuts for commuters away from heavy traffic. But officials in one town in New Jersey—Leonia—say they’re actually dealing with extreme congestion because of apps like Waze and Google Maps. So next month Leonia’s set to ban drivers who don’t live there, except in limited circumstance.s

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...ont-live-there-because-of-gps-apps/ar-BBHo5L8

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
giphy.gif

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I dunno about banning anyone who doesn't live there but i'm sure there are things they could do to make it essentially do the same.

I know some cities have signs that don't allow you to turn into their subdivisions during certain hours, they could possibly do stuff like that for non-residents to keep them off certain streets or risk a ticket? :dunno:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I dunno about banning anyone who doesn't live there but i'm sure there are things they could do to make it essentially do the same.

I know some cities have signs that don't allow you to turn into their subdivisions during certain hours, they could possibly do stuff like that for non-residents to keep them off certain streets or risk a ticket? :dunno:

If you read the article thats what it says. The title is fucking garbage and flyn picked a perfect quote to go with the garbage clickbait title..

Just about anyone else who drives between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. on about 60 of the township’s residential streets could face a $200 fine. And in case you forget, signs will be posted on the streets, hopefully by mid-January, officials said.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
not necessarily in a car though :bigthumb:

Whichever judge sees the case will be the one to decide on that :rofl:

I would argue that it's unreasonable to suspend automobile travel through the city. Driving itself is a privilege, I completely agree. But the freedom to travel anywhere you please in whatever vehicle (car, truck, bus, train, moped, bicycle, roller skates, etc.) you please is a right, or at least that's how I interpret it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Everyone saying it's BS needs to read what [MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] posted in post #9. They're blocking traffic on residential streets during set hours.

If you think that they cant do that or it won't hold up in court I would point out that there's a TON of that going on in Elmhurst along North Avenue (or at least there was for YEARS when I worked in Villa Park).

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Tinfoil is partially right. It's not all side streets. Secondary and tertiary roads are mentioned which I take to mean secondary being more of the main streets through town and tertiary being side streets. Waze has gotten so sophisticated it's looking for clear streets to keep people off the congested "Primary" highways and sending them through Leonia.

“Without question, the game changer has been the navigation apps,” said Tom Rowe, Leonia’s police chief. “In the morning, if I sign onto my Waze account, I find there are 250,000 ‘Wazers’ in the area. When the primary roads become congested, it directs vehicles into Leonia and pushes them onto secondary and tertiary roads. We have had days when people can’t get out of their driveways.”

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Everyone saying it's BS needs to read what [MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] posted in post #9. They're blocking traffic on residential streets during set hours.

If you think that they cant do that or it won't hold up in court I would point out that there's a TON of that going on in Elmhurst along North Avenue (or at least there was for YEARS when I worked in Villa Park).

There's the, at least in Illinois law, "avoiding a traffic control device" by jogging through a backstreet to miss a traffic light.

Would have to see which streets they are "blocking off". Sounds like they are leaving major thoroughfares alone, but you'd have to look at a map before you call it or deny it as BS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info