Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
BMW Might Bring Back the 8-Series, And Turn the 6-Series Into a True Sports Car

p33kqDr.jpg

Since it was revived in 2003, the 6-Series has been BMW's luxurious Grand Touring flagship, but according to an intriguing rumor, that could soon change. BMW apparently wants to bring back the 8-Series name for an ultra-luxurious four-seat coupe, and reposition the 6-Series as a two-seater with an emphasis on outright performance.

These rumors come to us from UK publication Auto Express, which cites a source within BMW for the information. Auto Express points to recent trademark applications from BMW for various 8-Series names, including 835, 840, 850, and most interestingly, M8. Automakers often apply for such trademarks just to keep them from being used by competitors, but Auto Express presents a fairly convincing argument supporting BMW's rumored shift in tactic: Mercedes-Benz.

Mercedes now sells two coupes, the high-performance AMG GT and the incredibly posh S-Class Coupe. While BMW's current 6-Series splits the difference between the two Benzes, the next 6-Series could be positioned as a high-performance rival to the AMG GT, conveniently also taking on the Porsche 911 in the process. This would leave the expected new 8-Series to go up against the luxurious S-Class. BMW and Mercedes are currently engaged in a war to match each other's increasingly diverse lineups, so such a move from BMW wouldn't be a shock.

The other bit of evidence Auto Express cites in support of a 6-Series performance makeover is BMW and Toyota's upcoming shared rear-wheel-drive platform. It's expected that this platform will birth the successor to both the BMW Z4 and the Toyota Supra, but it's said to be a modular design. Theoretically, BMW could use this platform to underpin its AMG GT-baiting 6-Series, which would be smart financially since the Z4 segment on its own doesn't move a lot of units.

BMW introduced the 8-Series in 1989 as a replacement for the smaller 6-Series, but it was ferociously expensive–the V12-powered 850csi we tested in 1994 commanded just under $100,000 at the time, around $160,000 in today's dollars. As such, the 8-Series wasn't a sales success, and it died in its first generation in 1999.

Rumors of a sportier 6-Series and a revived 8-Series have floated around the internet for quite some time, but this is the most compelling evidence we've seen yet. That doesn't mean any of this will happen, of course, but it doesn't seem completely far-fetched.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
x2, especially considering that the series number body style indication/formula gets shot to shit with these gran coupe cars.

Yup. add in the GT (ugly ass) versions of the 3 and 5 series, gran coupes, etc and there seems like a Lot of redundancy. What does a 535 GT have that the x5 or x6 don't? What does the 435i gran coupe have that the 535 doesn't?

One of BMW's strengths IMO was that they stayed pretty consistent to a core base of cars and drive trains, which seemed to keep quality and performance ahead of their competition. Unlike benz who always had a bajillion different engine/trans combinations in a dozen different cars, each of which had 4+ variations. IMO that's one of the reasons benz quality has always suffered. I have no clue why BMW would follow that path

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Back when I first joined TCG I drove one for a while, it was owned by the dealership I worked for but I kinda had free reign on dealer cars :rofl: . It was awesome, and you couldn't beat the sound of a V12 starting.

Dude that's awesome! Was it a 6 speed? And how hard did a pull from a stoplight? I remember hearin the gearing caused them to be more of an autobahn cruiser

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
The z8 would be the shit . I have some ten year old pictures somewhere of a z8 . Thought it was the coolest looking car in person.
Yea growing up I always thought those were sick and come to think of that I haven't seen one in a long ass time. Now though, owning one seems like it'd be nothing more that an expensive Corvette ragtop.

850's were in a class of their own. V12 and all

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info