Hyundai to spin off Genesis into its own brand

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Hyundai has announced that the Genesis name will be spun off into a new luxury Hyundai division. Rumors also are flying that the next gen Genesis coupe may have 450+ HP.

First "Genesis Brand" model to Debut at 2016 New York Auto Show - The Korean Car Blog

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/hyundai-genesis-coupe-wielding-twin-turbo-v6-200054504.html

Vision-G-Coupe-Concept-2-1024x683.jpg

02-hyundai-genesis-coupe-tt.jpg

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
This... Seems like a terrible idea.

People thought the same thing when Lexus came into the market at first under Toyota.

It's not going to happen overnight, but I like the idea and where it could go. It's going to take awhile to take off. Biggest thing if they want to see this through is going to be infrastructure of luxury dealerships to go along with the brand which they aren't going to do at first. That would be the deal killer because people are going to except the type of service to associate with the vehicle and price tag. Unfortunately for Hyundai opening up entire new dealerships is going to be HUGE money up front to do.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well, theyve got my attention.

Hyundai To Take On BMW M4 with N-tuned Genesis Coupe

The company's recent hiring strategy makes clear where its ambitions lie. It poached Albert Biermann, formerly chief engineer for BMW M, to head up the N division. The first product to emerge from that division will be an N version of the front-drive i30 hatchback, primarily aimed at Europe; but after conversations with Biermann and other senior Hyundai executives, we expect that the second will be an N-tuned version of the upcoming Genesis G70 coupe.

The G70, of course, is the smaller (and as yet unseen) sedan that will slot below the existing G80 and the recently launched G90 in the Genesis lineup, and which will spawn a sportier two-door sibling. Biermann describes the G70 as being a "whole new animal" compared to the other cars, sharing their rear-drive layout but with a new platform and "different axle concepts." He adds, "This will be more on the sporty side already in the normal version, so you [can] expect [a] really nice-handling car. . . . That platform is good for a lot of power."

Where might that power come from? Genesis has the Tau 5.0-liter V-8 to call upon, but Biermann indicates it's unlikely to be used in the G70. Instead, the newly launched 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 is more likely, although tuned to deliver considerably more than the 365 horsepower claimed for it in the G80; we'd be surprised if it couldn't either match or beat the M4's 425 horsepower.

Hyundai is determined to add excitement to its reputation for value and dependability. A Genesis G70 N coupe could certainly do that.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I didnt and still dont see the Genesis as something that requires its own "brand", but I can get behind a smaller, 400+ hp tt car.

it worked for Ram also.

from a marketing standpoint i totally get it. these cars no longer will say hyundai on them which people have associated with cheap and poor quality.

now they can venture their own way.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I think it makes sense to spin off a 'luxury' brand. Just following the footsteps the Japan 3 did in the late 80s/90s in a way. They need to separate the upscale rides from the Hyundai brand. If I'm looking at a premium Equus, I don't want a poverty Elantra in the same showroom, or worse get one of those as a service loaner.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
No Hyundai and kia are the same as far as upscaling goes. Similar to a Silverado and a Sierra excluding the denali. Identical except a few small features and a bit of styling.

I guess if it works for GM to have 3 levels for their suv's Chevy->GMC->Cadillac (Suburban->Tahoe->Escalade) then I guess it could work for Kia group although I don't think it's a good idea.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What's not right about that? For all intensive purposes the suburban, tahoe and escalade are all the same truck aimed toward different markets with differing price points?

semantics, but, if you want to compare the three siblings, it'd be

chevrolet tahoe
gmc yukon
cadillac escalade

or

chevrolet suburban
gmc yukon xl
cadillac escalade esv

also.

all intensive purposes makes me chuckle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info