Seeing more and more of these types of pistons.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
JE Pistons Releases Lightweight Big Block Chevy FSR Pistons

Seems like a lot of manufactures are removing a lot of material from each side of the piston skirts to shave weight.

Besides the weight advantages, anyone note any real disadvantages to removing materials from the sides like this.

The material removed from the sides I wouldn't suspect to have much impact on the side loads of the pistons anyways.

Pretty interesting and surprised that hasn't been common practice for ages now.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Seems to me like it all comes down to cost. Up until the mid 2000's I felt like there were still alot of cars with forged internals stock. Now it seems everything is cast or powdered metal.

I would think that the pistons would be a prime location for any unneeded material to be removed from the rotating assembly. When you think about it, the fundemental design of the piston engine is flawed because the pistons have to keep changing directions and wasting energy in the process.

I have heard arguments before that you actually want a heavier crankshaft and flywheel for drag racing, but have never heard any advantages to a piston purely being heavier.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Pistons like that are typically used in NA applications. Most still use a piston with a lot more material and thicker ring lands in boosted/sprayed applications.

At least, thats what i've seen with mod motors. I imagine the theory still works across all engine types.

Looks like decent ring lands to me :dunno:

2015-08-13_18-08-57-640x427.jpg

Just NO side skirts.

I'm a little more shocked that the design doesn't require some kind of crazy coating to increase longevity in a performance engine.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like decent ring lands to me :dunno:

2015-08-13_18-08-57-640x427.jpg

Just NO side skirts.

I'm a little more shocked that the design doesn't require some kind of crazy coating to increase longevity in a performance engine.

Touche. I looked closer after I posted. But still, from what I've seen, most boosted guys go with a piston with more meat to it. I don't know if its just old school thinking or proven results, but if it works it works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info