Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The Chevrolet Bolt Will Be A 200-Mile Electric Tesla Fighter For $30,000

t seems that General Motors has a couple electric surprises in store for next week's Detroit Auto Show. In addition to the all-new 2016 Chevrolet Volt extended range plug-in hybrid, they're also cooking up a pure electric crossover aimed right at Tesla Motors for a fraction of the price — and it's called the Chevrolet Bolt.

Some details about the Bolt concept leaked out tonight ahead of the car's debut on Monday. The Wall Street Journal says the Bolt will have a 200-mile range, be sold in all 50 states, cost around $30,000, and will debut in 2017.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Since Tesla has opened up its patents to any car maker, maybe GM should take advantage of the "supercharger" network Tesla is installing throughout the country. Use the same charging interface or use an adapter.
A crossover makes a lot of sense for an EV. Battery technology is going to follow Moore's Law for accelerating functionality and range.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Since Tesla has opened up its patents to any car maker, maybe GM should take advantage of the "supercharger" network Tesla is installing throughout the country. Use the same charging interface or use an adapter.

certainly standardizing an interface would help, although EV faces many more challenges.

A crossover makes a lot of sense for an EV. Battery technology is going to follow Moore's Law for accelerating functionality and range.

no, it is not, a point i have stressed in many other tesla threads. why would it? moore's law has to do with electronic charges passing through ever smaller and more numerous transistors. battery chemistry has nothing to do with this. it is bound by how many electrons you can fit in a confined space.

it doesn't matter how good the pipes get, you can still only put so much water in the water tower. tesla's stock price is built on fantasies and an expectation of moore's law applying to batteries. but batteries are not reliant on this technology. they are reliant on the physics of battery chemistry. "the next breakthrough in batteries" is always just around the corner, you can read about it in articles going back decades.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

At some point you have to wonder if the reason for him doing is that he is/has built a network of charging stations. If he gets everyone else to standardize on those chargers and makes $$ off of them, then it doesn't matter who sells the vehicles if he profits via the "consumables" for them.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
At some point you have to wonder if the reason for him doing is that he is/has built a network of charging stations. If he gets everyone else to standardize on those chargers and makes $$ off of them, then it doesn't matter who sells the vehicles if he profits via the "consumables" for them.

but they are free to use. seem to be many repair problems as well. they are put out there to help with range anxiety and charging problems to go anywhere. no one else is putting them out there because they don't care (comed) vs. back in the days where oil companies were putting out gas stations to sell their product.

i think he put up the patents because he is hoping it accelerates the timeline for somebody figuring out how to overcome the pains that have always plagued full EV cars. and the pr spin was that it was for everyone else's benefit.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
The Chevy Bolt Promises 200 Miles EV Range For $30,000

qkoi2ljx80w9a8o2h7bv.jpg

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I wouldn't take either.

Tesla promised the model X to be out already. its not eve close. the model 3 is promised for 2016 but is now pushed back to 2017 IIRC. their new small city car that the Bolt takes aim at isn't even into a concept form. I'm just saying that the BOLT is a good choice for GM if they can get it out before the affordable one from tesla. and this thing needs to price cut the i3 as well.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean its not a good thing for GM

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info