Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
was that to be expected? i dont remember what ford was saying about weight on these.

This according to Blue Oval modifier Steeda Autosports, which states that "the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake". Despite the Mustang not being on the market yet, it would appear the leading Ford aftermarketer has been given early access to the 2015 model to help jumpstart its tuning efforts (a rather common development among trusted tuners). If Steeda's assertion is accurate, that would make the challenge of getting the new pony car up to speed for both Ford and aftermarket customizers like Steeda that much greater.

We're waiting for official word from Ford on the veracity of Steeda's claim, but if true, it's bound to be a bit of disappointing news for legions of Blue Oval performance enthusiasts.

Has the 2015 Ford Mustang gained hundreds of pounds? - Autoblog

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
From a global perspective, the average consumer will care about overall mpg, performance, technology, safety, design, quality. More financially focused, the total cost of ownership.

If the car out performs or performs well against the competitors and delivers solid mpgs, then the ave global consumer will not care if the car gained 200 or 300 lbs.

Just my two cents.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The other day we reported on a rumor from Ford tuner Steeda, which said that the 2015 Ford Mustang would actually be gaining a few hundred pounds over the last generation, contrary to Ford's pronouncement of a weight loss. Now it turns out that rumor might have been full of crap.

On Saturday, Steeda put up a blog post heralding their development work on performance parts for the new Mustang, and implying that they actually had one of the new models in their possession. The post has since been changed, deleting this accompanying photo showing a team actually working on an example of the new Mustang:

It's unclear whether or not the post has been altered otherwise.

The post went on to definitively state that the Mustang had actually gained a whole bunch of weight, contrary to Ford's predictions, emphasis mine:

Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not "officially" confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the "enemy of performance", there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America's favorite Pony Car isn't left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition.

That's a huge bombshell, because an extra 200-300 pounds can have a significant detrimental effect on performance, and would take the huge selling point that the Mustang is leaner than its Camaro and Challenger counterparts away.

But now that huge bombshell of a statement of fact looks like it could've just been based on a big stinking guess, instead. A user on the Mustang6G forums going by the handle of "Seth@Steeda" said that they hadn't actually, ya know, based that weight figure on anything real, but more just about what they think maybe, kinda, sorta, would happen:

Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be. In addition current industry trends with new cars show additional weight being added for various new safety and comfort features.

So no, the Mustang did not definitely gain a whole fat guy in weight. Steeda just guessed that, and made that potentially damaging guess public, because why not. Nevermind that many vehicles are actually getting lighter than their predecessors, due in part to more advanced materials and manufacturing techniques.

(And those lighter vehicles including the F-150, which is some 700 pounds lighter than its predecessor, which is made by (*AHEM*) Ford. A company Steeda is very familiar with. So I'm not sure they should just be assuming that what goes in the past goes for the future as well.)

I called up Steeda to confirm their original claim, and to confirm whether or not "Seth@Steeda" actually worked for the company.

I'm still waiting on an official response.

As for the 2015 Mustang's actual weight, we still don't know. Ford hasn't released it, as part of their marketing strategy to slowly, painfully drip out information in an effort to lengthen the news cycle.

Nevertheless, I reached out to Ford to see if they could clear this mess up, and definitively say on which side of the coin the new Mustang would come down on.

They haven't responded yet, either.

I'll wait until someone actually weighs this thing

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
That's what people said about the 5th gen and why I ultimately still bought one. Weight is one thing that has an effect on every aspect of a car. Can it be overcome with power? Sure, at the expense of the drive train.

It's not like people are road coursing around the streets every day, or taking it down the strip 2-3 times a week.

Yes it effects the car but if it's about the same weight as a mustang is now I don't see to much of a problem.

As in I would buy one without thinking twice. Obviously it's more of a concern for others.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Still a heavy bitch. 3,700 lbs. put it in 5th gen territory. My 2010 M6 weight 3750 with bolt-on's. I'm sure the headers and mufflers took off a little bit of weight. I hope this doesn't give GM the idea that they don't have to address the curb weight of the 6th gen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info