Tires of the future are from the past?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Step forward in tire design or step backward?

The future of the tire may be found in the past.
Pirelli is predicting a move toward tall, skinny automobile wheel and tire combinations in the coming years, particularly for smaller cars, that look like a modern take on those used at the dawn of motoring.
The Italian tire company tells GoAuto that upcoming fuel economy, noise and wet weather traction requirements, driven by the European Union, are behind the development.
A century ago, slow-moving automobiles relied on wheel/tire combinations that were similar to wagon wheels to facilitate their use on roads that were still primarily unpaved and frequented by horse-drawn carriages. As paved motorways became the norm, tires became wider with thicker sidewalls to improve both grip and ride.
The new design aims to keep the same overall size footprint on the road by changing its shape to long and narrow rather than short and fat, in relation to the direction of travel.
Pirelli says 21-inch wheel diameters will be the norm by 2020, shod with tires featuring relatively deep sidewalls and narrow treads --as small as 125/60 -- that reduce rolling resistance and better channel water away from underneath. The changes should help reduce road noise, as well.
Helping this trend will be automotive industry’s new focus on reducing the weight of cars, which in turn will require smaller and smaller tire contact patches to produce the same effect.
Several lightweight concept vehicles have been show in recent years sporting this new design, including the Audi Urban Concept.
BMW’s upcoming, very forward-thinking carbon fiber i3 electric car also rides on relatively narrow tires, according to Green Car Reports, and is expected to hit the road, lightly, later this year

Read more: Tall and skinny tires the next big thing? | Fox News

pirelli-c1-660.jpg

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm definitely going to be in the minority on this one....but I really don't mind this direction. For 99% of the driving I do, these would be great. Would be awesome for a DD, but then again I don't really care what my DD looks like. I'm not getting the impression the wide high performance tires and or sports cars with wider tires are going away, but these taller tires are just going to be more popular on most consumer cars.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Progression:

Youth. Older, cheaper performance car.

Dating. Day comes when GF says she wishes there was more room in the back seat. This is how it begins.

Marriage. Wife now insists on more back seat room. Performance sedan arrives.

Kids. This is the big change. Kids require room. Anyone who has kids understands this. Your sanity is directly proportionate to the amount of room between you and your kids. A minivan starts to sound good. After you yell at the little tykes once too often and cram the playpen and swingy chair into the trunk once too many times, you break down and get an Odyssey. Life gets peaceful again.

Wait. You say you'll have a sports car and your wife will have the minivan? Nope. She wants a fuel efficient hybrid. A sports car isn't practical. Your choice of vehicle is minivan or Prius clone. Take your pick.

Mid Life Crisis. You can't take it anymore. You have been "discussing" buying a sports car for ten years. Your wife finally gives in to shut you up. You buy a sports car. A Mustang or a Camaro or maybe an import. You love the power but don't love the narrow front seat.

50+ years. Your life will now take one of two paths. The path is determined by how much comfort you want. You remember how much room the minivan had and how comfortable it was. Yet you still want a sports car.

Path A says screw the comfort. You buy a Vette.

Path B says comfort is good. You buy a CTSV.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info