đź“° Auto News So far at the Detroit Auto Show ...

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Mercedes-Benz introduced a front-wheel drive compact sedan, and Infiniti's G37 sedan successor, named Q50, won't have a manual transmission.

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

In better news, the 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee uses an 8-speed automatic transmission, up three gears from the current five. Can't wait until that transmission makes its way to the SRT8 Charger and 300C sedans. Also, the "8" has been dropped from the SRT Grand Cherokee, which a spokesman said is indicative of them exploring more engine options. Likely smaller, forced induction engines and not the Viper's V10.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I read Infiniti is renaming all of their models to Q. The G series saved their ass from bankruptcy and its their best selling model. Not sure if its a good move, but hope whatever new strategy they have works out. No manual doesnt suprise me either, just hope they dont use those awful CVTs..

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Marchionne: Dodge Dart May Get Nine-Speed Transmission - KickingTires

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said today that the Dodge Dart's disappointing-to-him performance in the U.S. should be improved once Dodge gives the compact sedan more powertrain options, and that may include a nine-speed transmission the automaker is developing.

Marchionne said that the automaker used "powertrain solutions that, in today’s world and in hindsight, were not and are not the ideal solution." Dodge started sales with a manual transmission, which few American buyers choose, and then followed that with a double-clutch automatic, which Marchionne described as an approach that is more appealing to European drivers, not U.S. shoppers. The solution, he said, is for Dodge to expand the Dart’s powertrain offerings.

Not that those problems have got Marchionne down on the Dart. "The car is a perfect car," Marchionne said, citing its quality build and high level of content, especially compared to its competitors. "It's the best car we've built, other than the Grand Cherokee."

The successor to the Jeep Liberty will be the first Chrysler vehicle to get that nine-speed transmission in the second quarter, he said.
In other news from Marchionne:
"Alfa Romeo is coming" back to the U.S., he said, but the automaker does not have a U.S.-ready model just yet. "We need to be ready. We're not ready… The car is not where it needs to be before it comes to the U.S."

As for the Chrysler minivan, changes will be coming. Only one brand, Dodge or Chrysler will have a minivan with sliding doors, and the automaker is looking at shorter wheelbase options for a minivan, but that will depend in part on its reception in the European market.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Any pics? or are you actually there now?

Naw, not on the show floor. Out of rotation for this event as we rotate in other editors - I've been to every show (NY, LA, Detroit, etc) for the past few years so am at the home base for this one. I haven't been doing much, so far, so will continue to update this thread as I monitor the show.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info