Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The bolded part would make me the most happy in the pants.

This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro enthusiasts. GM Authority is reporting that General Motors has filed with the "United States Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark of the "Z28" moniker. Oh, do we have your attention?

Many GM performance fans were surprised when Chevrolet did not use the Z28 nameplate for its range-topping, supercharged ZL1 Camaro. There were rumors afoot that Chevrolet may still employ the Z28 name at some point, but some of the air went out of that balloon when an option pack debuted between the SS and the ZL1 wearing the 1LE designation. And potentially furthering this speculation is an April tidbit from Camaro5, where a forum member discovered that his Camaro ZL1 diffuser bracket had the designation "Z28" on it.

Yet while many such filings are to be taken with a grain of salt (often it's just a brand looking to protect a dormant or lapsed trademark), a development like this only stokes the rumormongers' flames.

The ZL1 is, without a doubt, the top of the Camaro performance ladder, so where would a Z28 fit? GM Authority offers some speculation, suggesting that a production Z28 could "even out-muscle the ZL1." Another interesting theory they offer is that the Z28 appellation could replace the Camaro SS designation, as Chevy has the Zeta-based SS sedan range coming in next year, and GM officials could be worried about confusion in the marketplace.

When the first-generation Camaro came out in 1967, Z28 was merely the option code designation for a race-ready package (SS models were option code Z27). It was not mentioned in any literature and many customers did not know about it at first. Since then, the Z/28 has become an iconic name in the world of muscle cars.

Tommygm3

Starin' At The World Through My Rearview
Aug 7, 2011
but the z28 was meant to be a road race car originally...

Well the original 69 zl1 car was meant to be a drag raced car. and they sure fucked that up in my opinion with the heavy ass, irs 5th gen lol.
not that the z28 didn't have it's heritage in road racing , it still was a solid axle car that was primarily used by consumers for all types of racing and driving. The only things that actually stood out to say it was intended as a 'road' racing car was it was optioned with the smaller motor cause by Trans Am series rules it had to be under 305cu. So more or less in my opinion it was intended to be a production race car, specific to fitting rules for a road race series but not specific to only road racing. And if they're gonna make another camaro specific to racing they should make it a live axle car just like the original ones.
As where the Zl1 was simply put into production so that chevy could enter into certain nhra events which required 50 examples be sold to the general public deaming it a production car. again, my facts may be a bit skewed but that's kind of what I always understood

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
as a camaro owner, I was bummed when they stopped production after 02. I was excited when they brought it back with the retro styling.

but i think GM has whiffed on a few things with the car....physically, mechanically and marketing wise.

When they announced the would be Z28 was going to be badged as a ZL1, Some of the air in "my" balloon is let out ( since i own a Z28 ).

Good luck to GM with whatever they decide to do...hopefully they don't ruin it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info