Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I doubt this will ever make production, you would have to replace the entire rear suspension on 90% of fwd cars to allow the rear wheels to be powered. Not to mention the added weight of the battery pack and the bigger springs required to compensate, and te loss of most or all your trunk space. Also, RWD, awe, and fwd cars all have different alignment settings due to the drive forces, these would need to be re-engineered. On paper it sounds great, in reality it is easier and cheaper to buy a new car than fully re-engineer the drive system in your DD.

I am not saying that adding hybrid is impossible, but a universal kit is highly unlikely.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I doubt this will ever make production, you would have to replace the entire rear suspension on 90% of fwd cars to allow the rear wheels to be powered. Not to mention the added weight of the battery pack and the bigger springs required to compensate, and te loss of most or all your trunk space. Also, RWD, awe, and fwd cars all have different alignment settings due to the drive forces, these would need to be re-engineered. On paper it sounds great, in reality it is easier and cheaper to buy a new car than fully re-engineer the drive system in your DD.

I am not saying that adding hybrid is impossible, but a universal kit is highly unlikely.

Big WAT for this post.

Why would 90% of the suspension need to be changed? It sounds like it would bolt on most likely like a backing plate. Motors don't need to be the size of barrels to get an added benefit. They make 5th wheel kits that are super small and do a good bit of difference. Having it placed on the actual rear wheels and split between the two means it could be even smaller.

The size and price of lithium ion batteries are both getting smaller and smaller not to mention they're quite light.

Different alignment specs for different drivetrain layouts? Maybe oem specs differ but most do well with similar specs regardless of drive wheels. A tire on the ground is a tire on the ground.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
3k for a kit with a battery sounds awfully cheap no?

i also wonder what would happen to the price of batteries should demand ever really notch up. generally you expect economies of scale and things to become cheaper, but my understanding is they use a fair amount of rare earths... which are, y'know, rare...

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

If you read the story, the battery pack is the size of a carry on piece of luggage...

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Big WAT for this post.

Why would 90% of the suspension need to be changed? It sounds like it would bolt on most likely like a backing plate. Motors don't need to be the size of barrels to get an added benefit. They make 5th wheel kits that are super small and do a good bit of difference. Having it placed on the actual rear wheels and split between the two means it could be even smaller.

The size and price of lithium ion batteries are both getting smaller and smaller not to mention they're quite light.

Different alignment specs for different drivetrain layouts? Maybe oem specs differ but most do well with similar specs regardless of drive wheels. A tire on the ground is a tire on the ground.

Most fwd cars would require a new spindle to allow the wheel to be powered, this would also need toinclude an updated/upgraded bearing and brake assembly. Also, the struts, sways , training arms, and all other rear suspension componnents may need to be moved around to make room. You can't just put a motor there without moving shit.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Most fwd cars would require a new spindle to allow the wheel to be powered, this would also need toinclude an updated/upgraded bearing and brake assembly. Also, the struts, sways , training arms, and all other rear suspension componnents may need to be moved around to make room. You can't just put a motor there without moving shit.

Watch video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiQaCJOWTrY

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

Say that again? :mamoru:

Maybe actually read the article before spouting diarrhea?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info