đź“° Auto News Two Skylines to be Crushed in Wisconsin

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Plea deal sends two Nissan Skyline GT-Rs to the crusher

A 32-year old Wisconsin man named Justin Beno landed in hot water after he tried selling two R33-series Nissan Skyline GT-Rs on eBay in 2010.

Nissan never offered that specific Skyline model in the United States and it is not certified as street legal so the two listings grabbed the attention of an investigator working for the United States Department of Transportation.
Posing as a potential buyer, the DOT investigator contacted Beno via email and asked if the Skylines came with a title. Beno responded that they could be issued a Florida title which could then be transferred to Wisconsin.
The response was seen as an attempt to get around the law and to commit fraud so both cars were seized. To make matters worse, police investigators working on the case noticed that the Skylines were missing their VIN plates. A Wisconsin court charged Beno with two felonies and two misdemeanors.
Beno has been in and out of court since his Skylines were seized and he has done everything within his power to keep them in one piece. He even proposed to sell the two cars overseas and donate the roughly $100,000 that would have been generated by the sale to a charity in the United States.
The court rejected that plan and offered Beno a plea deal: Send the cars to the crusher and lose the felony charges, or keep them and risk going on a state-sponsored holiday.
Beno picked the first option with immense regret as he spent countless hours and cash fully restoring the cars.
“Both cars had been stripped down to shell and wheels — no motor, no drive train, missing interior parts — literally shells on wheels,” Beno explained.
To add insult to injury, in just a few years the Skylines would have been exempt from safety and emissions regulations due to their age. This would have made it possible to legally and easily title them in any state in the United States.
“I thought the punishment was appropriate,” said Dana Johnson, the Deputy District Attorney of Wisconsin’s Brown County. “I guess [Beno] doesn’t think it was fair. I thought it was very fair.”
The Skylines are scheduled to be crushed this week.

What do you guys think?

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
Seems like good ole WI is just trying to make an example out of this guy. No reason in the world the cars HAVE to be crushed.

To make it worse, why couldnt they allow the cars to be sold overseas and actually help out a USA charity. Seems better than just trying to show this guy who is boss and crush his cars.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The real fact is, the guy is a dumbass.

The amount of money he spent going through all this could have been spent importing the cars properly and not having to deal with all this bullshit.

Its not impossible to import cars that arent sold here or aren't emission/street legal. It's just a pain in the ass and money consuming.

Either way, still cheaper than what he spent trying to keep them to only lose them in the end.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The real fact is, the guy is a dumbass.

The amount of money he spent going through all this could have been spent importing the cars properly and not having to deal with all this bullshit.

Its not impossible to import cars that arent sold here or aren't emission/street legal. It's just a pain in the ass and money consuming.

Either way, still cheaper than what he spent trying to keep them to only lose them in the end.

I don't believe there's a legal way to import them anymore. I do know 2 people with r32's though. 1 came through Canada and the other straight from Japan but he's loaded so I'm sure he bought his way here with it.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I agree on the fact that there is no reason they have to be crushed. True, they can't be driven on the street, but neither can funny cars or top fuel dragsters. If he broke some fraud laws due to his own ignorance, then that's his fault, but there is really no reason why these cars have to be destroyed. Makes me sad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info