đź“° Auto News GM announces pricing for 2013 Cadillac ATS, starting at $33,990*

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Can't wait to drive this thing :fy:

2013-cadillac-ats-026.jpg

GM announces pricing for 2013 Cadillac ATS, starting at $33,990*

Cadillac's ATS is scheduled to hit dealer showrooms this summer, and General Motors has finally divulged pricing. Its smallest luxury sedan will start at $33,990 including destination(*), but that price will only snag you the entry-level model, powered by a 200-horsepower 2.5-liter four-cylinder paired with a six-speed automatic. Stepping up to the turbocharged, 270-hp 2.0-liter will push the price up to $35,795, and bring all-wheel-drive and manual transmission options into play. The top-of-the-line ATS carries a $42,090 price tag and is powered by a version of the 3.6-liter V6 from the Cadillac CTS, rated at 320-hp and mated to an automatic tranny, with all-wheel-drive available.

While these prices are hard to evaluate without a full breakdown of standard equipment – which Cadillac promises in due time – we can compare them to two benchmarks, the all-new 2012 BMW 3 Series and the slightly larger CTS. While Caddy does undercut the base 3 Series price of $35,795, that entry-level ATS is down some 40 horsepower. The mid-priced ATS, the one with the turbo 2.0-liter, however, trumps the 328i's 240-hp engine by almost that much. With equivalent starting sticker prices, it only makes the inevitable head-to-head battle all that more interesting.

The CTS, however, starts at $36,810, which makes the top-level ATS seem spendy at first glance. Granted, the CTS is nearing the end of its life cycle, but clearly those looking for a more luxury-oriented, V6-powered sedan are going to have to closely study the standard equipment sheet to determine what justifies the $5,000-plus price premium for the smaller car.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The 328i is great but its suspension and steering are now way way soft. Far from the tight driving experience of the previous base 3 Series. If -- and that's a big IF - the ATS delivers suspension and steering like the 328i used to be then they may be able to bring in people who want that kind of driving experience. You have to spend extra on the 3 Series to get the optional sport steering and suspension.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The 328i is great but its suspension and steering are now way way soft. Far from the tight driving experience of the previous base 3 Series. If -- and that's a big IF - the ATS delivers suspension and steering like the 328i used to be then they may be able to bring in people who want that kind of driving experience. You have to spend extra on the 3 Series to get the optional sport steering and suspension.

Be that as it may, the amount of people that are going to be swayed towards that car for that reason are extremely limited. Plus a lot of that is subjective.

I'll be the first to say that for me to get out of my Bimmer and into a Cadillac, the Cadillac would have to be a substantially better car. Handling a bit better isn't going to cut it for me. As much as I hate to admit it, there's still the insecure little boy in me that says I drive a BMW and the attention that comes with that but if we're being honest, most people are like that and you have to appeal to people's egos, even weak, insecure people like me!

You innovate in one of two ways: price or product. You either come out with something that's substantially better for the same money or you come out with something that's similar for substantially less money. Hyundai and Kia are good examples of this. They came from obscurity by offering models that were on par with Toyota and Honda for a lot less money and built their brand to the point where they're just about equal (if not a little under) Toyota/ Honda.

You're never going to win over the status quo by offering something similar for a little less money though. That's why the status quo is the status quo. BMW is a consistent product and the three series is a classic lineup from a prestigious brand. Cadillac is, well... Cadillac and while they've come a long way from where they were 10 years ago, they aren't to the point where they can compete with the big boys and offer no improvement in product or price because for those smart enough to make the apples to apples comparisons when car shopping, the BMW is going to win more than not.

I'd love to see this car succeed. It looks like a nice car. I love Cadillac and the direction it's going. My previous comments are not as a car enthusiast but as an owner of several mediocre business'. This car is DOA if they've shown all their cards.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
No doubt. The ATS isn't going to topple 3 Series sales or probably come very close considering Cadillac's own CTS isn't far off from the ATS price and size. BMW and VW have stepped away from the traditional way they design cars and profited from appealing to a larger market.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Why nip at the heels of the 3 series and A4/S4 when it can sock them in the face. Seriously, the whole NA v6 thing isn't going to stack up to a straight 6 turbo or SC v6 from BMW and Audi. I had hopes for this car, but damn it why not bring something a bit better to market instead of just trying to beat them at price alone. 400hp 3 series fighter would be bad ass and still keeps it far and away from the CTS-V as to not cannibalize it's own sales

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
if caddilac wants to play in this game they have to release a V. Audi, bmw, and MB each have a performance version of their smaller cars(RS4, C63 AMG, M3) as well as the big ones too. If caddy just stops with the CTS V, then it doesn't really show that its a company that can handle its competition imo.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I love this car, I will have one as a DD in the next couple years. I'm betting the V will be getting the DI GenV V8 coming in the Vette and the 6th gen Camaro. If they can price it in the high 40's I will be all over one when they are a couple years old. Other wise I'll be looking at the manual/ Turbo 4 set up.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
:noes:

Don't be surprised. This isn't the first time we've heard talk of Cadillac looking to expand its ATS lineup beyond the new-for-2013 sedan. Earlier this year, we reported that the automaker may be looking to move its CTS Coupe and Sport Wagon models down to the ATS line, and before that, our intrepid spy photographers had caught what appears to be a high-power ATS-V out testing.

TheDetroitBureau.com points out that the biggest challenge Cadillac faces in coming up with an ATS coupe is how to create something that doesn't just resemble a smaller version of the larger CTS two-door. Of course, the larger model could just be ditched altogether in favor of a rakish new ATS variant, and while Cadillac (as usual) cannot confirm future product plans, spokespeople within the automaker were a bit ruffled when rumors of the ATS coupe's demise were greatly exaggerated.

An ATS-V is indeed more likely to show up first, though at this point, there's still apparently some back-and-forth about whether or not to throw a big V8 or turbocharged V6 under the hood. We've heard rumors of everything from a 380-horsepower twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 to a 470-horsepower 6.2-liter V8, so at this point, your guess is as good as ours.

Finally, TheDetroitBureau.com reports that future ATS models aren't the only thing spinning through the Cadillac rumormill right now. Apparently, several sources within the automaker have discussed the possibility of adding a convertible to the lineup – something that has been absent since the XLR was killed off a few years ago. Something giant and grandiose like the Ciel concept is certainly an option, but who knows, maybe there's a droptop ATS variant in the works, too
Yes please on all acounts!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info