đź“° Auto News Subuaru looking to use an electrically-powered turbocharger on the next WRX

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
6cd63a1f-52d8-96dd.jpg

Electric turbo for next Subaru WRX?

A ground-breaking new electrically-powered turbocharger could feature on the next edition of Subaru's hero performance car, the WRX, when it finally arrives towards the end of next year.

Respected US website motortrend.com says Subaru took out a patent on an electrically-operated turbo in 2007. An unnamed source has told the website that Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, is working to trap heat energy from exhaust gases, generating electricity to power the turbo.

It is believed this would eradicate complicated piping traditionally associated with turbocharging and create power more efficiently with less turbo lag.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Subaru Australia spokesman David Rowley says it is the latest of many rumours swirling around the company's much-anticipated hero cars, the WRX and WRX STi.

"They haven't even had any concept cars out there that relate to WRX or STi, there was nothing at Tokyo last year, so I think until we see something along those lines they're not going to be revealing any other details – to us or you," he says.

Other recent speculation has named a turbocharged 1.6-litre unit as the most likely engine size, while rumours also suggest the WRX range – based on the Impreza four-door sedan and five-door hatch launched earlier this year – will be offered as a two-door coupe.

Subaru moved to separate the WRX pair from the Impreza range in the previous generation by removing "Impreza" from the WRX's model name, and will continue the separation both in terms of design and engineering, Rowley says.

"Our understanding is that [WRX] will be completely distinctive from the current Impreza, it will look considerably different," he says.

"I think it's fair to say they'll be looking at a whole raft of technical refinements on WRX because by the time we see it, it will be some years old in terms of the maturity of Impreza so inevitably there will be some very significant technical changes and innovations."

One common factor between the two may be a continuously variable transmission, which has already been launched across the Impreza range and appears likely to be retained for the WRX range.

Last year Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior told Drive that the WRX pair could be offered with a CVT.

"By far the majority of buyers of those two cars choose the six-speed manual, and I don't expect that to change over time," he said in October.

"The current WRX is manual-only whereas the [WRX-based] STi has a five-speed auto option and so I'd expect that one of those two cars could get an auto and quite possibly it'll be the CVT."

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
What did they do.. make an Alternator powered by exhaust gases to power the Electric turbo. lol!??? Weird but who knows it might work

I know that Nissan was experimenting with electrically assisted turbochargers. An electric motor and a capacitor that would discharge instantly spooling the turbo so exhaust gasses could take over.

I know they've never put it into a production car though.

Maybe this is what subaru is talking about?

There is a company that makes an electric supercharger that does work though. Problem is its made of 3 starter motors and requires 3 or 4 batteries mounted in the trunk to power it. :dunno: Can't see that working at all, just use nitrous, cheaper/easier/lighter/simpler.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
What's a Subuaru? :s00ls:

I know that Nissan was experimenting with electrically assisted turbochargers. An electric motor and a capacitor that would discharge instantly spooling the turbo so exhaust gasses could take over.

I know they've never put it into a production car though.

Maybe this is what subaru is talking about?

There is a company that makes an electric supercharger that does work though. Problem is its made of 3 starter motors and requires 3 or 4 batteries mounted in the trunk to power it. :dunno: Can't see that working at all, just use nitrous, cheaper/easier/lighter/simpler.

I actually read some pretty amusing test results on those electric "Superchargers". They found that many of them actually do give you a bump of a pony and ft/lb or two, then promptly become a restriction and rob a pile of power. They also occasionally like to start minor electrical fires. :bigthumb:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Not from the factory though Donnie dumbo

Japs already have a Roots blower for it IIRC. Also, there is always, always room for a snail... You just have to find it.

That said, there are still no plans for factory boost for the FT's. Additionally, the article states that this contraption is being developed for the WRX.

My ears aren't that big broski.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info