Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
DEARBORN, Michigan — The Ford Motor Company is moving closer to release of the Mustang FR500CJ Cobra Jet, a limited-edition racing car inspired by the original 1968 Cobra Jet Mustang.

New video shows the car testing at Michigan's Milan Dragway. Ford also released a new image of the FR500CJ, which is essentially a factory-built NHRA-legal drag racer.

Ford plans to build a limited run of 50 units in December, with deliveries in February 2009. Pricing is expected to start at $69,990.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKe2VsJdUZk

The FR500CJ will be fitted with a 400-horsepower version of the supercharged 5.4-liter V8 that powers the Shelby GT500, along with a six-speed manual gearbox, a drag-race wheel/tire combination and an NHRA Stock Eliminator cockpit.

Inside Line says: Who knows Mustangs better than Ford?

IL_logo.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Bump

This thing is said to be 10-second capable:

From Ford:

The FR500 series of Mustangs are race-ready cars, designed by Ford Racing engineers for performance-conscious customers, that can be rolled right off of a truck and win in competition. The Cobra Jet, as delivered, will be able to run in the 10-second range and be competitive as is, just like its sister car, the Mustang FR500C. The FR500C was unloaded for customers at the 2005 Grand-Am Rolex Series opening race in Daytona on a Wednesday, won the race on Friday and went on to secure a championship that first season.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/04/sema-2008-ford-ready-to-go-drag-racing-with-fr500cj-cobra-jet-m/

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's not just about running 10s. This is a fully certified NHRA car with licensed safety equipment, and is ready for competition. It's not the best bang for your buck and it takes the fun out of building it yourself, but if you just want to jump into racing, and have the coin, this seems like the way to go.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't think this one is street legal, but is a proper way to do a special edition in my opinion.

Ford can keep the California Special, GT500, GT500KR, Super Snake, Shelby GT, etc. I like the FR, race-ready Stangs.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Ford can keep the California Special, GT500, GT500KR, Super Snake, Shelby GT, etc. I like the FR, race-ready Stangs.

+1

The Shelby GT and California Special are not worth the extra cost. As someone else said, I'd rather choose the mods. The specialty cars tend to have obnoxious looking ground effects that just weigh the car down. But I'd take a GT500 in a heartbeat..

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ford apparently brought the FR500CJ Cobra Jet Mustang to SEMA straight from one of its testing sessions, because there was still plenty of shredded Goodyear rubber lining the fenders behind the rear wheels. The graphics package looks fantastic in person, and we're jealous of the 50 lucky owners who have already placed their orders for the car.

Many of you have been wondering, and we've asked the question ourselves, why the Cobra Jet is "only" rated at 400 horsepower. After all, the GT500, which also features a 5.4L supercharged V8, puts out 500. We asked around at Ford and found that the Cobra Jet has been de-tuned to meet specifications needed for NHRA's AA Stock class. The official horsepower figure has yet to be finalized, but expect it to be right around 400 as quoted before.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info