đź“° Auto News Porsche has accused Nissan of cheating in the GT-R's record bid at the Nurburgring

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
By contrast, Porsche publishes the 'Ring times achieved by ex-racing driver Walter Rohrl in each of its cars, but despite repeated requests, the company refused to contribute to this article or reveal how its times are achieved.
Although the German car magazine Sport Auto publishes some independent 'Ring times, the times published by manufacturers are not independently verified. "If someone wants to cheat, they can," says Schoysman, "but it's a matter of honor. Sooner or later a member of the media will try and match it and if they can't get close to the time, people will be suspicious."

Porsche is obviously a group of sneaky fuckers and have a lot of pride in what they bring to the world. I would trust their word before the fucking japs at Nissan.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Nissan defends legitimacy of GT-R supercar's record lap time against suspicions raised by rival Porsche. By ANDREW HEASLEY in Paris.

Nissan has hit back at suspicions raised by Porsche this week that the record Nurburgring lap time set by the GT-R supercar was achieved in anything other than a standard showroom-specification car.

The matter has reached top brass at Nissan, with its European spokesman at the Paris motor show today confirming the matter has gone ''quite high'' up in the company.

A senior Porsche engineer, August Achleitner, who supervises the development of all 911 sports cars, sparked controversy when he told Australian journalists at the launch of the new 911 Targa in Verona, Italy, this week that they were unable to replicate the record 7 minute 29 second lap time that Nissan claimed the GT-R set in April.

In the hands of a Porsche chassis engineer, the GT-R was 20 seconds slower than a 911 GT2 and 16 seconds slower than a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Achleitner questioned whether the GT-R was running a standard set-up on road tyres or perhaps something more track-oriented.

“Quite simply we're not going to get into a war of words with Porsche,” said Nissan's European spokesman Neil Reeve. “The final word from us is that it was done on absolutely standard tyres which are available to customers in the showroom.They're not trick tyres – absolutely standard tyres, normal road tyres.

“The GT-R comes with Bridgestone and Goodyear (Dunlop). One tyre gives slightly better times around the 'Ring.

“We did it on Dunlop. They're available with the car,” he said.

He was at a loss to explain the disparity over the lap time differences.

“I don't know, honestly I can't explain. I don't think it's for us to explain how they didn't match our time,” Mr Reeve said.

“We absolutely maintain (that) Tochio Suzuki - the chief test driver on the GT-R program pounded thousands of laps - he got to know every inch of Nurburgring (circuit) and how the car performs on the Nurburgring and hence set that fabulous lap. More than that, I can't speculate. I can't explain why they couldn't match the time.”

“We maintain that ... nothing special was done to the car.”

He conceded that the controversy might play on the minds of potential GT-R buyers. Fast lap times of the famous 21-kilometre German circuit are increasingy being used by car companies for bragging rights over performance and engineering prowess.

“The people who'd buy a GT-R or 911 Turbo are not the type of people to make a purchase like that lightly. They going to do an incredible amount of research, they're going to read every single road test that's available in every magazine which is on the internet and they're going to draw their own conclusion. Will it put doubt in their mind? They might find it surprising. In our experience in Europe, the GT-R has widely matched, at least, if not beaten, the 911 Turbo on various track tests. They can draw their own conclusions.

“We think its performance speaks for itself,'' he said.

Reeve wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch for the world to see.

“We're considering our options. We're not saying more than that,” he said.

“This (Porsche's questioning of Nissan's claim) happened two days ago, it was a surprising thing to read in the press, it's important.

“But let's not blow it out of all proportion. We're not crying about it. We're not going to sook about it.

“I'm cheeky enough to say it's flattering that Porsche have bought themselves a GT-R and flown it to Germany, they want to try it. I guess that's some kind of stamp of approval.

“It's great to have the competition. We're absolutely proud of the GT-R. It's a fabulous sports car, really epic.

“The level of performance that it delivers is really so impressive for the price it's positioned at,” he said.

:dunno:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
No actual proof, no care. I want to see Nissan run those times again.

Did they run their GTR the same day, the same track conditions, with the same driver that Nissan did? No.

Does their driver have a billion hours of seat time like I'm sure Nissans driver had? No

There was also mention in a few articles that there are some pretty noticeable deviations between GTRs because they are hand built motors...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Did they run their GTR the same day, the same track conditions, with the same driver that Nissan did? No.

Does their driver have a billion hours of seat time like I'm sure Nissans driver had? No

There was also mention in a few articles that there are some pretty noticeable deviations between GTRs because they are hand built motors...

please... im sure track conditions can cause 30 seconds of variation in lap times... not like Porsche was racing it in the rain.

Billions of hours of driving time? :rofl: You talk as if the Porsche driver was some newb off the street, im sure he could drive the shit out of any car.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007

Now are the motors built by one guy like at AMG? I got a Hans motor or i got a Takashi motor? And how much variation can the motors have? Its always interested me how motors with the same parts can perform differently.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
please... im sure track conditions can cause 30 seconds of variation in lap times... not like Porsche was racing it in the rain.

Billions of hours of driving time? :rofl: You talk as if the Porsche driver was some newb off the street, im sure he could drive the shit out of any car.

Panda, the way Porsche's and the GTR handle are like night and day, A driver who's seat time is all in RWD/AWD Front engine V-6's is probably gonna run a substantially better time than someone whos seat time is all in a RR car.

And you seriously don't think the PORSCHE driver might sand-bag to make Porsche look better?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Now are the motors built by one guy like at AMG? I got a Hans motor or i got a Takashi motor? And how much variation can the motors have? Its always interested me how motors with the same parts can perform differently.

because there still are tolerances that can make stuff different... slightly different compression ratios... slightly better heads... so on and so forth. there are manufacturing tolerances with everything, and shit can be out of wack for all of those parts, which can make it either bad or good.

even non-hand built motors i think can definitely have this difference, shit look at lightnings... my cousins lightning was 13.8 bone stock... theres gtps that go low low 14s bone stock, is it the norm... no... but sometime some variances make better stuff.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Panda, the way Porsche's and the GTR handle are like night and day, A driver who's seat time is all in RWD/AWD Front engine V-6's is probably gonna run a substantially better time than someone whos seat time is all in a RR car.

And you seriously don't think the PORSCHE driver might sand-bag to make Porsche look better?

x2. for sure.

seriously. i know when i go car to car, i am no where as sharp at driving it... from my dads 56 454 chevy, to his 79 403 t/a, to my gtp, they all drive very different, and i am definitiely not able to drive the cars to their ability after just hoppin in them, or trying hard for a while. (no im not a pro driver, nor do any of these cars even come remotely close to the cars we are talking about but yeah.. .)

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
x2. for sure.

seriously. i know when i go car to car, i am no where as sharp at driving it... from my dads 56 454 chevy, to his 79 403 t/a, to my gtp, they all drive very different, and i am definitiely not able to drive the cars to their ability after just hoppin in them, or trying hard for a while. (no im not a pro driver, nor do any of these cars even come remotely close to the cars we are talking about but yeah.. .)

Lets stay on topic here, we're talking about cars that can turn. As well as go straight.

I'm just kidding around, believe in Jesus.:ford:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

if anything the porsche driver would have the advantage at the ring because they have been testing there for decades whereas the nissan guys have been doing it for a few years. the article also made mention that their best test numbers came on an unusually great day at the track with no moisture on the surface at all, maybe even a better day than when nissan made their God run... why would porsche sandbag anyway? they want to find out what the car can do so they can have some usable number to work with when trying to figure out where they want the performance figures to be for their cars

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info