gm 3.1 coolant leak

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
working on a buddies 92 corsica and he has a coolant leak near the thermostat. there is a line coming off the water outlet housing. what is the technical name of the housing and the best place to get a new one. Would a boneyard be the best option? it appears to have rusted out the bottom and my fear is that one from a boneyard will potentially do the same in the future. any help would be greatly appreciated. will take pic of the specific part and area in the morning.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
It's been so long since I've worked on a 3.1MPFI. We had one in our garage for the longest but thats now gone. I trying to picture what part this is. I know the 3100 motors put a quick disconnect in there that tends to leak. However I dont see that in this picture. Yard or make it yourself. Hopefully BrianG will chime in. He knows em better than I do

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
It looks like a line that possibly goes into the LIM? It's pretty hard to tell. You should be able to tear it down to the point where you can get it out and see if you can/must fab something to replace it or if you can go to the dealership and work with them to get a new piece.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
getimage.php

i was thinking this

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
thats the long type fitting, iirc you cant get the "short fitting" anymore but rarely it the housing thats bad just the oring and of course the quick release clip breaks when you go to remove it. all you do is pull the old clip and oring and two plastic spacer rings (buttress's for the oring) sometimes its just an inner buttress, oring and the clip assembly as im almost sure thats what the "short" quick conect fittings are, they stopped using em and mainly stuck with the larger unit.
some fittings have a restrictor plug all the way atthe base of the stack, dont fuck with it, install the parts from the new fitting into the old housing

if the tube is fucked you delete it. try to removethe fitting, by rotating it, DO NOT twist it off the thread axis, or else!, if it snaps, you didnt listen to me did you? then a cheap harbor freight miniairsaw can cut and quarter it where you can knock it out in 4 chunks and save the threads (all ya need is rtv during final assembly unless you really "fuckitup") then you use a 1/2npt 45 and a 5.8ths 1/2npt hose nip and some reg 5/8ths off the roll heater hose.
shop around not all npt fittings will have enough clearance to thread em in next to the lim so sometimes you have to clock say two 45* fittings with the outer edge ground off to make a 90 and have rtv coated hands.
this is the rustbelt, if its the steel tube corroded through, good luck finding a nice one in the boneyard. good luck at the dealer, even if theyhave it the brass/pipe fittings is usually cheaper and ive had good luck pulling them out intact over the years by removing it with the engine hot and tq'ing in line with the threads and not shatter it.
do you feel lucky? :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info