Lots of white smoke means....

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I got my car fired up and everything worked out. The car atually idles much much better...pretty much normal. The only issue I have is that there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the oil looks milky/foamy. Does this mean a bad head gasket? If so, what is the best gasket replacement for a turbo car? Thanks for the help.

G

guspech750

Im guessing you have an internal antifreeze leak.

I had the same issue years ago on my 91 Beretta GTZ. I had a cracked head.

Not saying your head is cracked. Could be the gasket.

You might want to get the heads checked to see if there is a crack. It waould really suck to just replace a gasket only to find out there is a crack. But then there maybe a cleaner area between or around the cylinder where antifreeze was leaking into a cylinder. So maybe a head checked for a crack is not worth it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
What was the repair you were performing? That's an indication of either a bad head gasket or bad lower intake gaskets. The latter is more likely. Drop the oil, check out the lower intake gaskets and go from there. A major head gasket leak wouldn't be likely unless you got really frisky with the boost knob.

Either way, don't turn the engine back on until you get the problem sorted out and new oil in there. Anti-freeze/ water displaces oil and that's not what you want on bearing surfaces.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The motor had a double roller put in and I switched from my L67 set up to the L36 LIM and UIM. The head gaskets are the layered cometic ones and were put on about 4 years ago. The heads have not been removed since.

What should I look for on the LIM gasket to see if it is leaky? I did use a new LIM gasket.

Would it be worth it to do a compression test before I take everything apart? Thanks for the help.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I doubt the HG's just randomly started leaking out of nowhere, that's just really weird. Is the white smoke like "cold air" smoke, or is it straight up white smoke? Definitely odd it would start doing that. :dunno:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I was thinking condensation, but when my garage filled up pretty damn good with white smoke I figured it was more than just the weather temp. It didn't smell like buring oil to me. I will take off the intake a check that LIM out. Anything I should look out for when I am looking at the LIM gasket?

Thanks for the tip on the coolant and oil guys, I was thinking about starting it back up to pull it out of my garage so I will cancel starting her up again until I check out the LIM.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
your using the green coolant right?
if its coolant thats getting burned the "steam" will have a bittersweet taste to it.

also you have been running it for short periods of time before finally running it up to temp so it could just be burning off the condensation in the exhaust/crankcase.

it can cloud up a garage quite easily just from the condensation of water in the exhaust from just combustion...deffinatly check for the smell/taste by wafting a bit towards your face while smelling/tasting

remember you no longer should have a pcv system and just have a crankcase breather to vent it so condensation wont evaporate till the motors up to temp.
how milky is the oil? how low is the coolant?
if anything drain the oil mix into a clear jug and let it sit for a day or two and watch fr the water to settle to the bottom..if its got a nice green tint then you for sure have a coolant leak

that lim should be completly sealed, we were only missing a few bolts and it got sealed up tight...iirc correctly the lim TB coolant holes were plugged so i doubt anythings getting sucked in through the TB/egr hole area but you can always check by pulling the TB/adaptor.

you can also pressure test the cooling system and see if the pressure drops..a local parts store should be able to rent you a pressure tester.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
hahaha, I still can't believe I left that fuckin rag in there:picard: Unfortunately the smoke was too thick to get a vid from inside the garage, but I got a couple outside so you guys can see what I am talking about. This project really has taken me way too long, but this is the first time doing something this extensive on my own time so I have been very very cautious...and lazy.

The smoke has a fuel/steam quality to it. Doesn't really smell like burning oil much if at all. Sweet smelling would prolly be a good way to describe it.

Vids:

http://tcgvids.com/video/XXWWNUS8BNB3/Smoke-show
http://tcgvids.com/video/XDXM4OKW1DMK/smoke-show-2

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Hmm... that definitely looks like more than condensation, the entire garage is full :rofl: Sounds like it's running ok. IDK man.

I too left a rag in my red car during the turbo kit install, got sucked into #3 and #4 cylinders when it was running. :picard: What a bone head move. I'm lucky it didn't hurt anything.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Hmm... that definitely looks like more than condensation, the entire garage is full :rofl: Sounds like it's running ok. IDK man.

I too left a rag in my red car during the turbo kit install, got sucked into #3 and #4 cylinders when it was running. :picard: What a bone head move. I'm lucky it didn't hurt anything.

Yeah, it is pretty much a smoke out in my garage. The engine really does sound nice IMO...nicer then it has sounded in the past. I need to raise the idle just a tad until I get everything dialed in, but it doesn't try and die all the time. I am going to do a coolant system pressure test and see what that shows. If nothing, then I will do a compression test. I do know that my oil is milky as milky gets...so there has got to be a coolant leak somewhere I guess.

I am glad I am not the only one who did this...jesus man. I took off my TB and saw a little tail of a blue shop towel in the TB blade and thought WTF?. I turn the TB over and the entire fucking rag is in there completely covering up the MAF sensor and pretty much the entire inlet. I can't even believe my car ran to be honest...3800 FTW! I just looked up and called myself a retard and kept moving. I couldn't help but feel I got lucky as shit that the rag didn't get sucked farther :picard:. needless to say, the car idles and runs much much better now than the first time. It starts up without any hesitation at all, which is also a big improvement from before the rebuild.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My car ran like a DREAM, it was idling perfect, everything was cool. I gave the throttle a blip, and that was enough for it to suck the rag into the cylinders. Killed the motor, started it back up, and it sounded like it spun a bearing, but it was just the shirt holding the valves open enough for the piston to hit them. I was for sure convinced I spun a bearing (always feared that :rofl:) then i thought to myself... Did I ever take out that shirt? Hmm.... Pulled the supercharger case cover off, and there you have it. I :picard: myself 100,000x, and still to this day. What an idiot!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info