Cam for junk pt61

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
What's your goal? Honestly, the xp is pretty awesome, great drive-ability, and big power. Very similar to HK's cam, which just recently made over 600whp. I guess it's really just up to you, if you want to spend the $ on a cam, the ST5 is pretty tame. In a car like my old one, having the ST5 and a/c on at the same time was a PITA. You'll probably never use the ST5's full potential though, so it's almost a waste to get. So many factors when picking out a cam :rofl:

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
That's what I'm saying. There's so many things to factor in. Ive went through almost 50 pages of the turbo section on club gp for info. A lot of people use the st3 it seems. Some people think the st5 is too big. I'm most likely sticking with the pt61 for awhile. I just want to get the most out of this kit that I can. I don't want to regret later on not swapping in a turbo cam. I don't have a/c. I would love to be in the 10s but 11s is realistic.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I'm going to end up getting the 7/8 and replace it every year. The car only gets driven a couple months out of the year anyway. Do the clutches, input shaft, chain, that's it probably. Yeah I'm asking for trouble but I'm going to risk it.

thats all im planing to do with the build im doing this spring, I know there is a huge differance between 300 and 400+ horse but my 300whp supercharged grand prix trans held up great and all i ever did was beat the hell out of that car but never took it to the track

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
keep in mind turbo vs blower motors like different amounts of overlap, so a cam with less overlap would be better, but as mentioned people do make good power with the xp, will it be the best? not likely but other factors have a much bigger play in how much power it makes. i just got an xp in my stockpile so someday i should have the chance to map its lobe profile out, so little info exists on even the "basic" cams.

these motors excel at low/mid range breathing, and are less sensitive to knock by virtue of their rotating geometry, such a good flat tq curve motor, and one reason the 65e cant handle it at every shift the trans has to deal with large amounts of lower rpm "grunt"
next time the flamming pile gets on a dyno im gonna have it run from 2k on up

do yourself a favor, unbolt the flexplate and pull the rear cover off, im seeing too many of em where the gasket is fucked and bleeding coolant into the crankcase/oil galley/externally. its a gasket included in the cheap as fuck felpro cs9917 lower end set that gives you an oil pan gasket AND all other gaskets for less than the cost of the individual oil pan gasket, :rofl: so its worth doing

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Seriously though, it doesn't matter. You'll never max out the cam in the first place, so why spend money on a cam you don't need? James acts like your car is going to make 600whp, it won't. If it does, which i doubt on a CT kit, your trans will be gone. Stick with the xp, don't worry about all that blabber jabber shit James speaks of, it does not pertain to your situation.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That would be about where I was, just took 14psi on an xp cam. No need for turbo cam, save the money to upgrade trans parts. Even the trans you want to build can be torn up by a completely stock 3800 with a turbo kit. The amount of TQ they make with a snail is crazy, just shreds everything.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Running 10's full weight is doable, but dude, you're GOING to tear up the trans. There's no getting around it. My 7/8's chain stretched to the point of failure in 1 run. Before that was street driving, beating on it, track passes on my m90 setup. I was about full weight, maybe 150lbs lighter with the subframe and various other materials removed. It had other track passes on it, but that trans was fine until it was turbo'd. After that track run it took about 4-5 days before the reluctor wheel broke free and the trans had no idea WTF was going on. Phatrides car was 300# lighter than mine, went low 11's on his 7/8's. Of course, it stretched. There's no getting around it.

My advice? Get really good at replacing chains, clutches, etc. If you don't mind refreshing those things, you can go nuts with your car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info