Dying 3800

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
So my nephews 97 GTP with almost 200k is about to kick the bucket. The shame is that the body and interior is in pretty damn good shape. He currently has a bad motor mount that caused his right axle to rub on something and damage it. The crankshaft pulley has a bunch of play, intake and and valve covers leak, a bad belt, it has a nice tick, and it misses(injectors). The engine is basically done. I found a used 2000 motor and 4t65e trans with 120k on them on CL for $950 but im sure i can beat him down on price. Will this year swap right in with his ecu and harness?

Any other ideas besides just letting him drive it till it dies and parting it out?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
97 pcms are different, but you can use the one already in the car. I had an 05 engine in my 97 regal with a 97 PCM running it.

Fwiw, it had an 01 transmission as well.

I also believe I had the 97 vac lines for the gen 5 blower as well. I'll have to find pics to confirm.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
as long as its a 3800 and a 4t65e youll have no problems.
if you use an na shortblock youll have to swap over the heads and other parts.

you could just leave it NA if you wanted and it would run fine.

97's primary differences are mostly wiring and pcm, and also the trans if it was an NA car.

you can use almost any year engine/trans

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info