Had to beat on car, brakes feel funny

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Story edited out so eagle can chill.

My struts were already in terrible shape. My brakes were already low and have been acting funny, now when I hit the brakes it almost feels like there's no power assist, almost like if you were using the brakes with the engine off and in neutral. It was raining and the whole thing in general was just very hard on my suspension. One of the big things I'm worried about is my car was making some insane noises when I finally got it home and shut it off. For like over five minutes there was lots of loud ticking, and a very loud bubbling noise. As everyone knows my car already wasn't in the best shape before.

Sidenote, the gmpp kit is awesome. I did NOT think my 4k pound pontiac could handle like it did tonight.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Do you have a damn cell phone? Call 911 and lock your doors?

And then she beats on my car trying to get me to get out, and it's a long, annoying civil suit to get the money to fix whatever she does. I called 911 but she had her brights on so I couldn't see her front plate. They told me to file a police report anyway so they can dismiss it if anyone tries to report me for reckless driving, but that's about all they could do.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Maybe these things just seem easy to handle to me.

Drive to a gas station (they have cameras)?
Drive to a police station (they have police)?
Drive to the middle of the nearest corn field (there's nothing there and you can do wtf ever comes to mind about your situation)?

Seems stupid to me.

BTW, your insurance would fix your car. It's a deductible at its worst. Next time, consider that your driving skills might offend someone and cost you the amount of your deductible.

:dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
BTW, driving around a neighborhood (most likely) like an idiot trying to "get away" from this person is pretty effing stupid on the night before Halloween. Think getting the crap beat outta your car was going to cost you some time in court... try hitting someone or something and now being responsible for THAT.

Good luck fixing your car.... whatever may be wrong with it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I suppose in this situation its better to whip the camera out and record her beating the shit out of your car so you can sue her ass in court. But then you are still left with a car thats been fucked up and you have to go through all the legal hassle.

Even if it was her fault and video showed it as such, had you hit her you would have been the "bad guy" instantly because you were physically stronger.

I probably would have done what you did and just cut and run.

How are your brakes behaving? Is the pedal hard or soft? If the pedal is firm but you still got no brakes your pads are likely glazed. If the pedal is soft and you have little to no braking ability its likely your fluid boiled and now needs to be bled.

If you have ceramic low-dust pads they have ridiculously low fade temperatures. They give up fast and glaze easy. I did that to the factory brakes and pads in my G6 GTP at Road America the first time I had it out. By the end of lap 3 in a 25 minute session they were already fading hard core. I had to switch to engine braking and limit the speeds on the straights. 100mph on Road America's straights is like doing 30mph on the highway, a scary proposition! The rest of the weekend the brakes were mushy and the pedal feel crappy.

The dealer took care of it for me though, new pads and a flush for free under warranty.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Maybe these things just seem easy to handle to me.

Drive to a gas station (they have cameras)?
Drive to a police station (they have police)?
Drive to the middle of the nearest corn field (there's nothing there and you can do wtf ever comes to mind about your situation)?

Seems stupid to me.

BTW, your insurance would fix your car. It's a deductible at its worst. Next time, consider that your driving skills might offend someone and cost you the amount of your deductible.

:dunno:

Gas station - same shit. Get out of the car, or deal with civil suit.
Police station - not even close, and I have no idea where I am.
Corn field - And do what? Beat the crap out of some middle aged skinny ass woman? No thanks.
Insurance - Liability. They won't pay for jack shit unless I'm at fault.
I don't really care if my driving skills offended somebody, and neither did the local police. They told me to file a police report specifically for that reason, so they can disregard it if anyone reports me for reckless.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
LET YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY COVER IT. Christ. It's what insurance is for. It assumes RISK for you. Chances are, this PO'd lady just wanted to give you a piece of her mind, not kick the shit outta your car.

Oh and in case you didn't guess... the corn field was a joke. Kinda like this thread....

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I suppose in this situation its better to whip the camera out and record her beating the shit out of your car so you can sue her ass in court. But then you are still left with a car thats been fucked up and you have to go through all the legal hassle.

Even if it was her fault and video showed it as such, had you hit her you would have been the "bad guy" instantly because you were physically stronger.

I probably would have done what you did and just cut and run.

How are your brakes behaving? Is the pedal hard or soft? If the pedal is firm but you still got no brakes your pads are likely glazed. If the pedal is soft and you have little to no braking ability its likely your fluid boiled and now needs to be bled.

If you have ceramic low-dust pads they have ridiculously low fade temperatures. They give up fast and glaze easy. I did that to the factory brakes and pads in my G6 GTP at Road America the first time I had it out. By the end of lap 3 in a 25 minute session they were already fading hard core. I had to switch to engine braking and limit the speeds on the straights. 100mph on Road America's straights is like doing 30mph on the highway, a scary proposition! The rest of the weekend the brakes were mushy and the pedal feel crappy.

The dealer took care of it for me though, new pads and a flush for free under warranty.

THANK YOU. I was NOT going to lay a finger on this woman, nor did I want to drive around a beat up scratched up car for a year while taking time off work to go through a pain in the ass civil suit. She looked about the age of most of my friends' moms, and maybe 90 pounds.

The peddle is REALLY soft and I don't have much braking ability. I wish I had a dealer warranty :tear:.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
LET YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY COVER IT. Christ. It's what insurance is for. It assumes RISK for you. Chances are, this PO'd lady just wanted to give you a piece of her mind, not kick the shit outta your car.

Oh and in case you didn't guess... the corn field was a joke. Kinda like this thread....

Since we're using caps...WHAT PART OF SHIT LIABILITY INSURANCE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? I DIDN'T HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE, THEY DON'T CARE. And she literally launched her body at the car, I don't think she just wanted a quick chit chat. Thanks for the helpful advice though!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Since we're using caps...WHAT PART OF SHIT LIABILITY INSURANCE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? I DIDN'T HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE, THEY DON'T CARE. And she literally launched her body at the car, I don't think she just wanted a quick chit chat. Thanks for the helpful advice though!

I bet all 90# of her was going to do terrible damage to all 4000# of your Pontiac.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
You probably cooked the shit out of your brake pads/rotors, so theyre probably glazed now... that would cause really shitty braking. Hot brakes will also make ticking and popping noises as they cool down.

as to the bubbling noise dunno.... maybe the coolant in the resivoir? was the car running hot?

I know it wasn't anywhere near overheating or anything...but I'm assuming it was probably running a little warm. Will the brakes be at least little better after they cool down overnight?

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
I know it wasn't anywhere near overheating or anything...but I'm assuming it was probably running a little warm. Will the brakes be at least little better after they cool down overnight?

If they are glazed, no. you will be looking at new pads/rotors more than likely

But if they were just overheated, you could have just been experiencing brake fade from the temperature of the brakes. that will cause the fluid to boil if its shitty and cause reallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy shitty braking.

Take it for a drive in a few hours after everything cools down and see how it feels.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Trying to impart some of my old man wisdom on the people who might read this thread and CONSIDER siding with your craptastic split second decision making skills...

The point of the thread was to ask a quick question about my car, I wasn't asking anyone to "side with me" on my decision, I could really care less. What's done is done, and the point of this thread was to ask about my car. And at this point I really won't listen to or care about anything you have to say about the car situation either, so please find another thread to troll. Crazy person chucks herself at my car, I hit the gas and drive away, I don't think that's too horribly unreasonable. Why do you care so much anyway? So if it was a bad decision and I messed up my car, I did. If I was borrowing your car at the time this would be a pretty reasonable argument.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
If they are glazed, no. you will be looking at new pads/rotors more than likely

But if they were just overheated, you could have just been experiencing brake fade from the temperature of the brakes. that will cause the fluid to boil if its shitty and cause reallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy shitty braking.

Take it for a drive in a few hours after everything cools down and see how it feels.

I guess I needed new brakes and rotors before winter anyway...just really wasn't ready to pay for them at the moment. But whatever, things happen right? I'll take it for a drive in the morning and see what happens.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Flying around a neighborhood fleeing a "90# crazy person" isn't unreasonable at all, you're right. BTW, most "middle aged" people don't get "crazy" without being provoked most times. Guessing you probably did your fair share to encourage this situation into happening.

You posted your entire stupid ass story. Tell me to "troll" elsewhere? Whatever man. Don't want my opinion about your car? Oh wait, I haven't given one. Instead, I'm talking about the REST of the irresponsible crap you posted that you did tonight at the top of this thread.

Back to gaming cuz you're right. This is pointless.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So boiling down to what you really want to know (pun intended), here's what you should do.

You posted this at 9:30, its likely that your shennanigans occured at least an hour ago. Your brakes are already cooled down sufficiently. If the pedal is still soft and breaking crappy then you have glazed your pads, and you will need to replace them as well as cut your rotors at a minimum. Not sure on the pricing but with some of my older cars new rotors were only a few $$$ more than cutting them. I prefer to replace them and turn the old ones in.

I'd flush the fluid too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info