what needed to put ls6 springs on my car? stock everything else.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
yes valve seals...It's a kinda while your there might as well do it and they are cheap.

I thought that LS springs needed LS retainer or the ZZP modded retainer. Correct me if I am wrong here because it has been a while.

I remember using a valve spring compressor, small pen magnet for them little keepers, and a air hose to spark plug hole dealio.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
yes valve seals...It's a kinda while your there might as well do it and they are cheap.

I thought that LS springs needed LS retainer or the ZZP modded retainer. Correct me if I am wrong here because it has been a while.

I remember using a valve spring compressor, small pen magnet for them little keepers, and a air hose to spark plug hole dealio.

Yup. Will need a LS retainer, or the ZZP modded ones. We also used the air hose fitting into the spark plug dealio. Be careful though, cause weaker compressors wont be able to hold and using the cheap spring tool will attempt to open the valve and let air out.

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
Definitely replace the valve seals, it will be something you will regret you didn't do later when you have to do the job twice.

LSx retainers, springs, & seals. It may be worth it to have an extra/new set of locks laying around in case one or two get lost/dropped.

I was able to remove all my valve springs off both heads with a nice spring compressor, in the time that it took me to remove one spring with a Harbor Freight special.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
There is a big part of me that likes to ensure that big parts of my pistons are not removed by my valves :dunno:

When I had my motor apart for my cam, I went ahead and replaced everything to avoid any OEM failures (See Tony's 4.8 swapped S10 as an example). Aftermarket; Retainers, Springs, Chain/gear, ontop of all the performance crap (Roller Lifters,Roller Rockers, Cam). Good piece of mind.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
When my dad and I did the springs on the car for my camaro, we made sure we were TDC before we hooked the air fitting up to pressurize the cylinder just in case.

Good idea thanks.

There is a big part of me that likes to ensure that big parts of my pistons are not removed by my valves :dunno:

:rofl: i just want to go fast though.

When I had my motor apart for my cam, I went ahead and replaced everything to avoid any OEM failures (See Tony's 4.8 swapped S10 as an example). Aftermarket; Retainers, Springs, Chain/gear, ontop of all the performance crap (Roller Lifters,Roller Rockers, Cam). Good piece of mind.

i dont have any performance crap in my motor though :dunno: its stock.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
he's only pulling valvecovers :rofl:
tdc with the airhose is a good idea esp if your compressor sucks. lever type or screw type compressors are fine, one slower than the other but has less "oops" potential
at most he needs coolant elbows
use a ~5/8ths inch magnetic spark plug socket on the retainers to tap em with a hammer to get em off real quick if your a real badass...in all seriousness, just tapping em a bit can loosen the retainer to keeper "wedge" and make removal alot easier. oe springs aint bad but big springs can really lock them fuckers in place where even my badboy off car compressor has a hard time breaking em loose
if yer running high ratio rockers you may want to get the modified lsx retainers, new seals is a good ideastick with oem type as the hammer on vitons can be a bit much for some hillbilly's.
make sure when you tighten down the rockers you make sure they are on base circle and not open, you go tightening em down and the lifter is on the nose and not bled down you can shove the retainer into the seal and damage it, not to mention shoving the valve into the piston if its at tdc
outboard 2 rockers get tightened first, help hold the nose to avoid fastener tq from twisitng you off the center of the valve.

RossiGTP

Young Gun
Oct 23, 2008
Portage
Real Name
Cody Rossi
use a ~5/8ths inch magnetic spark plug socket on the retainers to tap em with a hammer to get em off real quick if your a real badass...in all seriousness, just tapping em a bit can loosen the retainer to keeper "wedge" and make removal alot easier.

X2 that helped alot getting them loose. After being compressed like that for so long they just stick.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny

he speaks the truth!! especially the pen magnet!!!! :fu:

i still have Mat. T. valve spring compressor from last year when i did mine. :hsugh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info