What am I missing?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
So today a new problem popped up. I started driving this morning, car is fine, then about fifteen minutes later I hit the brakes to stop at a stop light. The rpms dip down to about 300, I hear a very loud grinding noise, then jumped back up to about 2000 and the car lurched forward, almost smacking the car in front of me. Now almost every time I hit the brakes the car stalls out on me and I have to pull over and try to get it to crank over. Sometimes it turns back on right away, sometimes I have to keep cranking it. Also the revs sound a little different when I'm driving. Almost whiney, but not supercharger whiney, like my girlfriend's ecotec whiney. I hooked up the scanner, and the only off thing I noticed was vacuum pressure kept dipping down to 9 and shooting back up to 21 or so, so obvious vacuum leak right? Well I covered that whole damn engine in brake cleaner multiple times, including shooting some straight at the IC to check the seal, and can't find a thing. Also after that first time in the morning my SES light popped on for low MAF circuit, which doesn't make any sense because it's a fairly new LQ4. The scanner said certain engine conditions can cause the maf to throw a code when it's not actually faulty though. Is this true? Any ideas what's wrong with this thing now? Anybody wanna buy a grand prix? It's supercharged...:pedobear:.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
So I unhooked the MAF for awhile and drove it around town, no change. I looked up the code it threw and it said if the throttle is open past a certain position with the engine at 300 rpms or less (which has happened multiple times since this started) it can throw the code without the MAF being bad. Still think I should try swapping out the maf or could it be something else?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Touche, i remember james telling someone they had a bad fuse, and it was bad.

Where did you get the o2 sensor? Unless it's a GM one, they usually don't work very well and will throw codes all the time. Especially with a cam.

The other code looks to be Evap related (did a quick search, didn't read, but saw evap) that could be another cause of shitty idle. Did you put it back on? Some cars run better without it. Neither one of my cars had one.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Also, my blue car with the ST5 would never idle right, the IAC kept trying to fix the idle and it actually ended up making it worse (i didn't have any error codes though) so i set it to idle at 950rpm, and unplugged the IAC. From then on out, it idled just fine. Just had a little stumble when the a/c was on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info