3800 Need help/advice with annoying electrical gremlin

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This problem has been progressively getting worse and I'm about to simply cut the wires to the door/trunk chime. I honestly have no idea where to start, mainly because I don't have any wiring schematics for the car.

The trunk chime is spazzing out randomly, and frequently. The trunk latch icon on the DIC flashes accordingly with the dinging. I disconnected both the trunk latch sensor as well as the trunk release and there is no difference, so I'm on the hunt for a bad ground or short to power.

The only place I've hacked into the wiring back there is at the antenna for a 12v signal to my amplifier. The amp is now out of the car and I've got a cap over the wire; it's just dangling back there.

The problem seems to happen on humid days more than others, lending to the idea of an exposed wire or short somewhere.

Any ideas on where to start? Or does anyone know where I can get wiring diagrams for the car, or maybe an All Data schematic on hand?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This problem has been progressively getting worse and I'm about to simply cut the wires to the door/trunk chime. I honestly have no idea where to start, mainly because I don't have any wiring schematics for the car.

The trunk chime is spazzing out randomly, and frequently. The trunk latch icon on the DIC flashes accordingly with the dinging. I disconnected both the trunk latch sensor as well as the trunk release and there is no difference, so I'm on the hunt for a bad ground or short to power.

The only place I've hacked into the wiring back there is at the antenna for a 12v signal to my amplifier. The amp is now out of the car and I've got a cap over the wire; it's just dangling back there.

The problem seems to happen on humid days more than others, lending to the idea of an exposed wire or short somewhere.

Any ideas on where to start? Or does anyone know where I can get wiring diagrams for the car, or maybe an All Data schematic on hand?

Do the jiggle test. Start jiggling shit, Seriously.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm bumping this because after a flawless winter this fucking problem is back. It started again after a really cold day where my trunk was frozen shut and I had to force it open.

Any ideas?

What I noticed was that the trunk light was always on. One of the wires on the trunk light was exposed so I taped it up and I thought it solved the problem. I re-taped it and the problem is still there.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'm bumping this because after a flawless winter this fucking problem is back. It started again after a really cold day where my trunk was frozen shut and I had to force it open.

Any ideas?

What I noticed was that the trunk light was always on. One of the wires on the trunk light was exposed so I taped it up and I thought it solved the problem. I re-taped it and the problem is still there.

I was going to suggest the latch, but since you said wires, Im at a loss. My latch on my GT would stick once and awhile, and with the SLP spoiler on, it would look closed, but would open everytime I hit a bump. So going through my parking lot over the speed bumps, I would get "DING DING DING" and the trunk would flash on the DIC. It was rather irritating.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Well, I'm guessing this latest occurrence is from the sensor being out of alignment. I unplugged it today and the beeping went away. I had to smack the trunk pretty hard to get it to open when it was frozen shut, so I'm could have smacked the sensor out of whack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info