Whistling Noise

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
sounds like a post blower vac/press leak...prob somewhere along the SC gasket since it can act ike a reed.
you can do a combustible spray test but if the vac leak is like some ive seen it leaks less under vac than it does under pressure. not to mention make damn sure your ignition cables are in good shape as 3800's seem to not mind looking like a lump of charcoal if ya let em
if you dont have access to a vac/evap leak smoke machine to test with the engine off, you have a couple options...
blowing cigarette smoke with the rad fans off and no air movment might let you see the vac leak drawing it in.
you could do the same test brake tqing it to pressureize it to see where it can be blowing the smoke away.
if you already checked that everything is tight, you can loosen sc/rails/etc mounting bolt 1/2 to full turn and test drive till you hear the tone of the whistle change (retighten before doing the next bolt)

L36 SS

Addict
Jul 11, 2008
Wheaton, IL
I have a spare BBV you could try out. Might also be the reason why you're seeing lower boost readings...although with your mods it might be right.
Was seeing 7psi on the way home tonight..so im sure that's normal. Did you get my text?
I have a similar whistle after installing an IC. Seems to do it at part throttle and not WOT. Whistles at about 2-4 psi. At WOT, I have seen as high as 13.2 psi on the DIC with a 3.2 pulley.

Yea, im non IC and only hear the noise at wot.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I wonder if the ported inatke has something to do with it. I assume that you cut away about half the circle below the BBV (I did). Maybe that, along with a partially open BBV makes a whistle.

Maybe try unhooking the BBV vacuum so it says fully closed and taking it for a test drive to see if the whistle changes?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info