Rack and Pinion

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
So for the last few months I've been getting a "Service Variable Effort Steering" and of course the Magnasteer is defaulted for no speed sensitive assist. I've been trying to find out what has been causing this but have not come up with anything being the "usual" suspect.

Fast forward to a 5 days ago I had a buddy replace my inner tierods. Now 3 days ago I noticed for a brief moment no assist but thought nothing of it. Now 2 days ago the car has barely any assist turning right and zero assist turning left. Sometimes while turning it makes some weird sounds as well. The ps pump however is not whining.

Does this sound like a bad rack or pump? Their is fluid in the resevoir. Also if it is the rack which one do I need? I see one with variable assit nv7 or with variable assist nv8? I have a Comp-G.

Thanks

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
How did you determine that was the problem? I'll have to double check on if there was any assist, I suppose that if there was none that could potentially be the problem but if there is any assist then that is definitely not the problem.

I imagine you can just take the belt off, and see how loose the pulley feels/ how easily it spins.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I imagine you can just take the belt off, and see how loose the pulley feels/ how easily it spins.

Damn, didnt think of that. So annoyed with this car!!!!

I'm also thinking that even replacing the rack wont cure the SVES light I'm getting thats probably some sensor under the steering wheel.. (from what I'm googling):fu:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Damn, didnt think of that. So annoyed with this car!!!!

I'm also thinking that even replacing the rack wont cure the SVES light I'm getting thats probably some sensor under the steering wheel.. (from what I'm googling):fu:

Step one: make sure insurance is up to date
Step two: burn your car to the ground
Step three: profit.

:dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info