GTP stalled...no codes

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
could this be related to bad fuel or does my GTP hate my wife?

The car stalled out this morning and we did a car swap on Irving and Laramie. I drove it to Melrose Park from there and it ran fine. fuel trims were ok. The STFT got to -6.7 one time.

On Sunday we went to Dekalb and topped off with fuel at the Mobil on 38. The BP station was out of premium, turns out, their tanks were low enough they were worried customers may get water in their tanks.

What else should i look for if it is not fuel? Anyone else have issues with fuel in Dekalb?

TIA
Nick

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
modern 10% ethanol fuel does absorb water
thats nothing to worry about of the fuel trims, if they were closer to 15-20 then i might figure that into it.
air filter able to have wheel well water slung off the tire onto it? a few drops of water on the maf sens will freak and will cause it to go rich and stall

MAF signal and fuel pressure are normal when it stalls and the TCS off light came on, all good indicators that crank sensor needs to be replaced.

thanks James.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I doubt it is the fuel, but "summer gasoline" is just hitting the stations now. The main differance between summer and winter gas is the vapor pressure. The EPA requries a BIG drop in vapor pressure starting in May.

This might effect cold starting, but other than that, there should be no issues. I don't see it causing a warm engine to stall.

When my IAC got dirty, the car was hard to start and would stall randomly. Cleaned it up and it's much better.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
MAF signal and fuel pressure are normal when it stalls and the TCS off light came on, all good indicators that crank sensor needs to be replaced.

thanks James.

That is what I was gonna sugget, and ask if the tac dropped to 0 while the motor was still running. TRAC OFF at stall is usually the crank pos sensor...as a side note, look for a loose connector, mine would act up only when it was raining outside, and it was just the connected was half off/separated

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Mine was doing that too, ended up being a harness problem. Took me 4-5 hour to rebuild that section of harness. I bought the sensor, didn't end up needing to put it on. Partly due to me...I extended that harness to remount my coil packs a few years back. The shrinkwrap failed, it had a glue in it that eventually migrated out and melted the wires together. Took all my extensions out and re-soldered/wrapped the entire thing.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
^^^it is an 99 GP.

The engine failed to restart and i saw smoke come out of the tailpipe when it did start. Also, review of the data shows MAF increasing as the engine dies or RPMs drop to "0". In one instance it goes to 2987 and RPM is 659. In another, MAF goes to 6652 and RPM is at 136.

Thoughts?

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
alright, i think i narrowed it down to the MAF. I decided to buy some MAF cleaner because i was going to pull it anyway. everything was coated with a black carbon like substance.

I cleaned it Wednesday and it did not stall all day yesterday. Pulled it again to finish the job but i ran out before finishing.

Car stalled today at a red light but i think one more cleaning should do it. Seem like every time i touch it it reacts both in performance and frequency. cross your fingers.

Nick

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
on freebeer's car i found the circuit board broken inside the maf body...lift up with the connector plugged in...no problem.....lightly push down....motor stalls.

with the engine running do a tap test/wiggle test if it stumbles you prob have the exact same issue i encountered on his car
x2 on Qtip/alcohol

to clean the backside of the filaments yank most of the cotton off the swab (paper stick qtips are way better than plastic but both work) then you can bend the tip over a little to let you get at the backside without damaging the thermisters

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info