1995-1998 Buick Rivieras

I have a few Buick Rivieras lined up to look at as daily drivers. Also looking at a 2004 MC SS, but I am curious what to look for in these cars? One is a 1995(S/C), another a 1996(N/A), and a 1998(S/C). What should I look for on these engines and transmissions and heck the xcars overall. I figure you guys are the 3800 gurus and these all have 3800s in them.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Im pretty sure the 95 is gonna be a gen 1 3.8 I had a na gen 1 that ran for ever it was a good motor but I have no idea on the supercharged version, anything 97 or newer would be the gen 2, some of the 96 rivs have a gen 2 also, if its all stock and hasnt been beat the trans will last for a long time

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'm sure James will be in here asap but I wouldn't bother with a series I 3800 sc or na. The riv's do have a neat look to them but I'd rather have series II.

how much they asking for these rivieras? I'm sure you could get a regal gs/ls for a similar price.

Off topic, but you're the guy that lived in Mallard's Pointe with the goat, right? I figured that you moved out since I haven't seen your goat in a long time.

What made you move to IL?

That guy beat the snot out of the car, let oil level drop 4 or 5 quarts, and spun a rod bearing.

This guy bought it from that guy and nursed her back to health. Just waiting to pop on pads and rotors on her in the spring.

I'm sure James will be in here asap but I wouldn't bother with a series I 3800 sc or na. The riv's do have a neat look to them but I'd rather have series II.

how much they asking for these rivieras? I'm sure you could get a regal gs/ls for a similar price.

Don't want 4 doors.

youll want a 98/99 better strut setup, and other minor differences but its just overall better.
95 is non emissions so if you can find one with a blown motor/trans from arizona you can do an OBD2 98+3800 swap fairly readily using later brackets etc.

major plus...it you can fit the 60eHD 65eHD and 4T80E and they all boltin

Just plan on making it a DD. They bothered to change the strut set-up only to kill it 2 years later. What was wrong with the older strut setup.

Also, is there anything to look for in series one and/or series two cars like a LIM gasket on a 3100/3400 series engine?

Thanks again all.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The Monte Carlo and GTP are two-doors.

The series II has lower intake manifold gaskets that tend to leak if they're the original plastic ones. The replacement gaskets are aluminum/o-ringed and are easy to spot. The valve cover gaskets can leak too. Other then that nothing too common I can think of.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Being that it's intended to be a DD, I'd try all the electronics and stuff to see what works and what doesn't. I have a 97 w/ 200k mi and I've lost the sunroof, HVAC for the most part (stupid little problem I need to find), instrument lighting (fixed), some sort of ABS system issue, so on. Figure out what kind of those nuisance issues you have right off the bat. The motor and transmission if you're not already aware is awesome and can last forever basically.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info