quick tool size questions

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am taking apart a gtp and need to know what size socket/wrench do I need for the axle nuts? Also what size the crank bolt is so I can take out the TC bolts? I appreciaate the help as I will need these tool to rip apart and built my monte as well.

Hopefully in a couple days I can have this car out of here to a scrap yard and start building the monte. I am pulling the motor/tranny and everything else I want to keep out of the car today. All I have left to do is pull the axles, take out the TC bolts and unbolt the motor/trans mounts...:noes: Pics soon to come on turbo build.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
34mm if oem axle nuts, 36 if aftermarket axle nuts

15/16ths crankshaft dampener bolt, 18mm tq converter to flexplate bolts
you dont need the socket on the crank bolt, a longish 12-18" prybar or large flathead screwdrive will hold the flexplate still by putting the tip in the teeth and letting it hit the edge of the bellhousing inspection area, having the starter out makes it easier to use a ratchet or impact to get the tq conv/flexplate bolts out but if you use the wrench to take em all the way out you dont have to pull the starter.
i also just push on the ring gear with my prybar to turn the motor...your a wuss so ya might want that 15/16ths socket on a ratchet :s00ls:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My stock axle nut was 34MM. That + breaker bar + 12" of pipe on top of it got it off. I sprayed it down with some PB blaster and let it sit for a few. Make sure the socket has good contact and not hanging off anywhere. I had a hard time till someone pointed it out.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the help, it was a 36mm for the axle nut. I just got the motor and everything pulled out. I can't believe it only took me a couple days to take this car completely apart given I did it alone. Now comes the tough part of building my car. Garage space is very limited after pulling that motor and trans out. Not to .ention my back is fuckin sore

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SleeperLS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list