97 GTP starting issue

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Another problem with my nephews 3800. A week ago he tried to start it and it would turn over, begin to start, idle low and die. After sitting for a while it then started up fine and it didn't happen again until today. Same thing happened and it threw P0304 Misfire in cyl 4. The plug and wire are new, would I be correct in assuming the coilpack is the next thing to replace? Anything else I should consider?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
4,5 and 6 will show a misfire if the TB gasket is leaking coolant and it gets sucked through the bbv opening...it coats the plug and causes a misfire till its cleared out.
if the paper TB gasekt hasent been replaced at all and its over 80k miles...its prob worth it to pull it off and replace it. ive seen this over a dozen times...youll usually see the coolant flowpaths into the blower inlet as the gasket is split apart like a bitch. really bad lim gaskets can cause this as well since the coolant ports are between the intake ports

plugs can crack, wires can have their internal conductor broken, and yes coils can go bad, spray everything down with soapy water when its dark out and look for a lightening storm...even if you dont see the lightshow use a jumper wire connected to ground and the shank of a screwdriver and wand everything esp the coil near the holdown bolt in between the towers, if you dont see anything then use your hand to do the same thing...youll feel any voltage leakage.
keep in mind if its only a mis during startup after the engine was driven and up to operating temp check fr the coolant leak. if the mis is constant then its usually the coil.
if you need known good parts to test with let me know

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
tb -just use anyones
lim -dealer aluminum 04+ SC gaskets

befoer you do the work run it with the prestone neglected cooling system flush for an hour or two with straight water after draining the dexcrap (of course dont let it cool down outside and freeze the block), repeatedly flush it after and switch to green.

was it only during startup that it was misfiring? did he top off the coolant just before it misfired like that?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Personally i would change the coil first :dunno: can't leak coolant when it's cold... 3800s suck lol

thing is when you shut the engine off, after its hot the cooling system is under pressure...it fills the inlet, you go and start it the next day, puddle gets pushed into bbv divot and sucked into the nearest runner. if it was only missfiring at startup and not afterwards/while driving/under load its not as likely its a coil.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
hmm... i'll bet it's not the gasket(s) leaking. Probably a crappy connection either on the coil or plug. I would go with the easy stuff first, like swapping plug wires. It's quick and painless, if the problem goes to another cylinder then it's a wire. If it stays on 4 then it's either a coil or a plug. If those don't fix it then a whole crap load of things could be wrong, but i'll put my best dollar that says it's got nothing to do with the TB gasket.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Changed the tb gasket, but after taking it off it does not seem to be leaking from there. Having a better view with the tb out of the way it was pretty clear it was leaking from the lim gasket. That said, plug from cyl 4 that was misfiring looked like new. Also, the oil has no coolant in it since it was changed last Fri. Im going to have him seafoam it to see if it will help if it is a clogged injector.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
So it refused to start for him when he went to leave work last night. I picked up a coil pack and went over there this afternoon. Swapped it out and it did nothing. Its still turning over and everything, starter seems to be doing it job, it just doesn't start. This makes me think fuel, would the next thing to look at be injectors or fuel pump? Anything else?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info