**Paging 3800 crew, I want your input. **

Gypsy

TCG Elite Member
Sep 21, 2010
So I've talked with several of you since I adopted my GTP this year about pros and cons of a few different mod options. I'm interested in what you guys think is the most important mod one can do to your car OR your personal favorite, maybe with a short sentence about its purpose. Doesn't necessarily have to be something that I myself would do, I just want to know about different things so that I know my options for the future and also so that I can attempt to keep up with the car conversations that happen around me.

So help me out. Learns me ur knowledge. :grouphug: Thanks!

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
most essential mod. for any car.

Fuel+Doctor+3.JPG

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
full size intercooler and drop pulley sizes :fy:

How does an intercooler work? To understand how an intercooler works one must first understand that all knock is a cause of heat either directly or indirectly. The spinning internals of the M90 output a lot of heat which is absorbed by the air which is also superheated as it's compressed. The temperature increases exponentially with each drop of a pulley size. To remedy the problem and eliminate knock we use the intercooler to cool the temperature of the air exiting the supercharger. By doing this you are now capable of running pulley sizes that would otherwise require more involved modifications such as a cam.

All W Body Store Intercoolers feature:

•Significantly lowers knock, cools the charged air, and reduces stress on the motor while making more power
•3/4" lines & fittings
•Unparalled quality - All parts are CNC machined
•Easier Installation!
•2.25" thick core clears most hoods
•Gains of 40 - 50 wheel horsepower! (see above)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
After I had about 90,000 miles on mine, replacing the stock suspension with mild lowering springs and fresh struts, as well as adding beefier sway bars and strut tower braces firmed up the ride plenty and made it much nicer to drive. That was probably one of the more significant mods I made to the car. That and some nice 17-inch wheels with good tires really changed how the car drove day to day.

Gypsy

TCG Elite Member
Sep 21, 2010
After I had about 90,000 miles on mine, replacing the stock suspension with mild lowering springs and fresh struts, as well as adding beefier sway bars and strut tower braces firmed up the ride plenty and made it much nicer to drive. That was probably one of the more significant mods I made to the car. That and some nice 17-inch wheels with good tires really changed how the car drove day to day.

This might seem like a silly question... can you explain what sway bars are? If there's a short easy answer to that.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
This might seem like a silly question... can you explain what sway bars are? If there's a short easy answer to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

A sway bar is an automobile suspension device. It connects opposite (left/right) wheels together through short lever arms linked by a torsion spring. A sway bar increases the suspension's roll stiffness—its resistance to roll in turns, independent of its spring rate in the vertical direction

I never really got into modding my car. My favorite mod though was my tints and subs. Subs like I have would probably be a little much for your taste, but any amount of bass is better than stock in my opinion. If I were you I'd just get some nice speakers to replace the Blose/Delcrap ones and an amplifier to run to them so you have nice crisp treble and decent bass too.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Gypsy

TCG Elite Member
Sep 21, 2010
I never really got into modding my car. My favorite mod though was my tints and subs. Subs like I have would probably be a little much for your taste, but any amount of bass is better than stock in my opinion. If I were you I'd just get some nice speakers to replace the Blose/Delcrap ones and an amplifier to run to them so you have nice crisp treble and decent bass too.

My shits actually pretty loud right now. According to him, its way louder than Mike's new GTP and I didn't think it had anything other than stock speakers but its pretty good volume.

Gypsy

TCG Elite Member
Sep 21, 2010
My question for you is what do you want from your car? More power/better acceleration, handle better or more comfort? Also what kind of $$ you got to spend?

Well to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it. My first goal is basically to acquire a base set of knowledge about what-does-what type things and then go from there.

Well to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it. My first goal is basically to acquire a base set of knowledge about what-does-what type things and then go from there.

This isn't a bad starting point of what to read:
http://www.subatomicdesign.com/gtp/forum/ClubGPFAQ.htm

Other than that I would just cruise clubgp through the write ups/stickies as there is a lot of good info in there. Pretty much everything I learned about 3800's other than working on them was on clubgp.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Id say headers will give u best bang for buck if you want performance. As far as appearance. HID's and new headlight capsules will make the night driving experience that much better. Although id say just do maintenance on the car and keep it clean. Most females neglect todo these simple things.

Gypsy

TCG Elite Member
Sep 21, 2010
i love my turbo kit- but a lil extreme for what it sounds like you are looking for...

i do love how my car looks as a close second- tint- lowered in the front- with wheels. that sets it off a whole lot.

I definitely think aesthetic mods are something I'd be into. My hesitation lies in well, cost of course and then the fact that my car sits outside in the snow all winter which being from Florida isn't something I'm used to putting a vehicle thru. Does that realistically affect anything?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Id say headers will give u best bang for buck if you want performance. As far as appearance. HID's and new headlight capsules will make the night driving experience that much better. Although id say just do maintenance on the car and keep it clean. Most females neglect todo these simple things.

HIDs are sitting in the house. havent gotten around to tossing them in w/ this shit weather.

I'd be more worried about the salt. If it is very clean underneath I'd get it undercoated now while it's good. my car has really bad rot underneath because the first 2 years I owned it I was a stupid teenager and didn't think about how salt would effect it. Then I just let it get worse and worse and for the past year you've been able to see the rust from it when the passenger door is open.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'd say lowering and some nice wheels would be a good starting point. Power; like panda said headers are a nice addition and not a ton of money.

I don't think they make the gmpp suspension kit anymore but it was like $150 for 2 larger sway bars, control arms and a strut brace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info