Front suspension noise?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
This is on my 06 GXP that has about 70,000 miles. I know it is not a 3800 but they have the same basic junk suspension so yea.....

I have had this on going suspension noise that the dealer "can not duplicate." It really is very irritating and I am fed up with the dealers and I would just rather fix it myself then take the car in for warranty work. About 4 months ago every morning when I would back out of the garage and as soon as I turned the wheels I would get one loud pop noise and that would be it. Now it is getting worse and I also get creaking noise while the car is not moving or at parking lot speeds. It only happens when I am turning. Going straight over bumps and the car does not make any noise. So far the dealers solution has been to lube the strut mounts and springs with "special lubricant." I laughed when they told me that and the service manager at two different dealers has told me that they really can not duplicate the problem and they do not hear any noise. So I think the strut mount and bearing need to be replaced. What do you guys think it is? I kind of doubt it is a ball joint or a wheel bearing but I do not want to replace the strut mounts and find out that did not fix my problem.

Not to mention the oil consumption problem on this piece of shit car. That is a whole different story.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
:rofl: "cant duplicate it" is the catchall for not wanting to fuck with shit (or at least it was back in my day)

tell them bastards to get out their NVH mic kit, clamp the fucking mics to the upper mount bolt, spring coil, lower ball joint and tire rod n shit and go for a drive around the lot....switching through each mic as they drive over a 1x1...lotta lazy fucks at alot of dealerships dont wanna do diagnostics as they dont get paid for it...hahaha

"sealed" lower ball joints can sometimes make a squeaking sound if they are dry, i use a syringe and shoot some oil in through the boot, same with the inner and outter tie rod ends

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i think you may be on the right track with the strut mounts as i used to replace alot of em....word of advice dont go with the cheep one's

if you have the time to do some experimenting...do it once with the car on the ground and then once more, jack the car up and put it on jackstand one night and then the next morning while its up in the air with the hood open put a couple clear glasses with water in em on the strut mounts and watch em as you turn the wheel for thta first "pop" with the key off/engine off.

usually youll see the water jump on the bad one

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I just bitched at the dealer and they ordered me a pair of strut mounts and bearing lol. Hopefully I can get it in this week. At least this way if for some reason it is not a strut mount it is their problem now to fix my car right and I will not be wasting money throwing parts at the car. It is under extended GMPP warranty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info