Dissembled and cleaned throttle body. Pics

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
So, today I had an itch to work on the Grand Prix. I always wanted to clean the throttle body, but I could never get that damn screen off (without mangling it up). I used to spray a little maf safe throttle body cleaner from time to time, but I wanted to make sure it was really clean. I recently met up with James (Turbocharged400sbc) and he explained to me exactly how to perform this job. Following his steps I was able to knock it out.

I picked up the gasket and today I began working on it. It was actually very easy to perform. The hardest part was getting the barrel throttle cable off (it was very very easy once I figured it out). After that everything went smooth. As you can see it was very dirty. I tried my best to clean everything and ensure every trace of gasket/debris was removed. Some areas simply were caked on and were permanent.

BEFORE:

1000620ps.jpg

1000621n.jpg

1000622s.jpg

1000623p.jpg

AFTER:

1000625.jpg

1000624o.jpg

1000626v.jpg

1000627p.jpg

1000628.jpg

1000629jb.jpg

1000630b.jpg

1000631l.jpg

1000632.jpg

Here is a small video of meaning driving it around the block. I gave it about 75% throttle. Not very fast, but I notice a small difference. Now I just need to get a MAF :D

http://tcgvids.com/video/AG999N634HUA/Cleaned-Throttle-Body-Small-launch-GTP

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Is it ok/recomended to run the car without the screen?

No, if you need more flow, go to a bigger outboard maf. The screen is there to smooth flow over the maf wire. Removing the screen does increase flow, but it affects idle and WOT.

People will tell you that they didn't notice a difference, it DOES make a difference...it's generally a bad idea. I was even a proponent of it until several years of experience proved me wrong.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
...or pick, like ron im lazy and prefer not to walk over to the toolbox if my pick of destiny is handy :rofl:

Yup, same goes with the FPR

My Dad comes by, and is always like "oh, you need this tool..." when I am out in the garge working. He'll poke through the garage looking for it, and by that time I'm done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info