L67 Stalling, Flashing SES

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
After I discovered that the battery was bad in my 40th, and I put a Red Top in, the car continued its gremlins...

The car will stall out of nowhere like it is starved for fuel, refuse to start for about 10-30 seconds, and when it does the exhaust is smoky black, smells like sulfur, and sputters for a little bit. After about 30 seconds of that behavior, the car will run like normal.

SES light flashes less than it did before the battery was replaced but flashes every now and then. SES light will stay on about 75% of the time.

I had it read and it came back to random misfires...

Any Insight? Coil packs are newish, and plugs are AC Delco Iridiums that are OEM spec on this engine. Plug wires have less than 10,000 miles on them.

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
For what it's worth I had the same issue but with a different car. I found that the plug wires were defective somehow because after I changed them the problem has been gone since. Been almost 2 years now. I'm not sure where you got the wires but I got mine from autozone, had a lifetime warranty no charge for new ones. If you have the same warranty might be worth a shot.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
The Wires are Delco from Stealership in 2008...

I'll have to check plugs on a weekend where I don't have to use the car... Mainly that is because the engine seized in my Intrepid...

I'm hoping this can be an easy fix... If not, I still have the service contract to fall back on ($250 deductible)

you have a lean misfire (catalyst damaging is what the flashing means). I would double check the wires and plugs

Yes, try not to drive it until the issue is reesolved.

The Wires are Delco from Stealership in 2008...

I'll have to check plugs on a weekend where I don't have to use the car... Mainly that is because the engine seized in my Intrepid...

I'm hoping this can be an easy fix... If not, I still have the service contract to fall back on ($250 deductible)

OUCH! Whats the point with a deductible like that.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It's true, but I don't know what cat he's got on there...I've never seen a plugged cat on the stock 3800. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it's unlikely.

I dont remember either, but I thought he had some mods. :dunno:

Ive "read" about people clogging cats, but never seen it on a locals car. :dunno:

Id delete the cat and just have the code turned off. Thats just me though. :rofl:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I don't know what everyone is on about, Flashing SES is constant misfire, nothing else, all other codes set the light on continuous. Yes, a constant misfire can lead to Cat problems.... but only if it is ignition related, and you are dumping fuel out the exhaust (note that other problems will be caused by Gas washing down the cylinder walls in that cylinder(s) that misfiring :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info