Need help picking a cam!

nmskull66

Blowing up one 3800 at a time
May 14, 2009
Elmwood Park
Ok so ive decided that im going to invest in a cam from ZZP but i need to know what you guys think would work better for me. The mods that im currently running are: Top swapped motor, 3.4 pulley, headers, No cat, 3" full exhaust, MSD coils and 10.5mm wires, autolight 104's, Cut valves and seats, and a FWI, with a minor tune. I currently have an innercooler as well but havent installed it yet.

But its between these two cams from ZZP-

NIC
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=941&catid=104

or

XP Hot
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=117&catid=104

Please give me your info!!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Nic cam is WEAK
NIC is awesome if you're hellbent against intercooling. I ran a very similar cam in my car and was able to run a 3.0 pulley with minimal tuning on manifolds no less. Plus it sounds wicked.

Ultimately we didn't end up making them because of the problems ZZP had with the NIC and people blowing their car up the first time out. Ideally you should install the cam, install a "safe" pulley, tune, drop pulley sizes, check for knock and fine tune and then you're done. There's not a lot of room for error on tuning.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
With a topswap, XP would be the best choice. NIC is a fringe cam that can make good power, but the XP works well with higher compression and it's proven. NIC is the ultimate "poser" cam...it has the best sounding idle of any other 3800 cam...but they all sound the same when you take off.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Shaferz...you ever run your gtp at the 1/4 mile track?

Not recently. Pulled 12.4 @ 114 last season.

Now have Talmans ported heads + slicks + a healthier shot of giggle juice.

130k on the stock bottom end. :noes:

Shooting for 11.9's @ 116. Regular 93 octane + full exhaust. I'm too cheap for higher octane gas (and too cheap to buy injectors to run E85,) I'm too lazy to drop the exhaust, and I'm too lazy to do the cable mod for the rear suspension. :hsugh:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Not recently. Pulled 12.4 @ 114 last season.

Now have Talmans ported heads + slicks + a healthier shot of giggle juice.

130k on the stock bottom end. :noes:

Shooting for 11.9's @ 116. Regular 93 octane + full exhaust. I'm too cheap for higher octane gas (and too cheap to buy injectors to run E85,) I'm too lazy to drop the exhaust, and I'm too lazy to do the cable mod for the rear suspension. :hsugh:

Nice man, that fucker runs. Good luck on the new pb

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info