tuning

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
We're pricey, i ask for $250-$300 and I think Tommy does as well. It's way too much liability to do it any cheaper. I have quite the waiting list though, i have about 4-5 cars to tune before you. Also, hows all that stuff you bought from me a couple years ago? I haven't heard a peep out of you in a long time :rofl:

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Ouch, you guys really charge a lot.. PRJ only charges about $150 for a good tune with the use of a wideband...

It might be worth it to get a clarification of the word "good". PRJ is a smart guy and working on cars is his full time gig. How he sets his prices is up to him. I don't know if $150 bucks gives you a complete tune, but that would be for you to decide.

I'm not a mechanic and I do not work on cars. My background is in IT and consulting. I have spent the last 5 years putting in ALOT time and energy to learn and tune my own 3800 cars along with a handful of other 3800s for friends. I also have made a significant investment into equipment, hardware, tuners, etc.

I have a full time job that normally takes more that 40 hours a week for me. My time off is precious to me. If I'm going to tune someone's 3800 on a day off, I am going to charge a fair rate for my time. In return I will work my ass off to make sure you get a tune that is tailored to YOUR car and its mods. For me, it takes a minimum of 4 hours to get that done to my level of satisfaction. The further you are from "stock", typically the longer it takes to tune.

Also, tuning cars as old as these, starts out with the high probabilty that something mechanically (vac leak, fuel pump) and/or a wear item (plugs, wires, dirty maf, fuel filter) is needed of replacement. I won't really know that until I start scanning the car. At that point I already have 45-60 minutes of my time invested. If I get to that point, you need to and/or find someone to do the repairs first before I can go any further.

Anyway, I did not intend to make a long post. I just want people to be aware that "tuning" is process and takes time time; espcially on our aging platform. If tuning was easy, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. :wink:

Also, if you want a basic tune, but want to not spend alot, a ZZP PCM might be the way to go for you. :dunno:

Sorry, that came out wrong. I didn't mean you guys don't do good tunes, just that the prices are a bit much. I just figured because you are not doing it through a shop it would be cheaper (just like any other service, shops charge more, guys doing it as a side job charge less). PRJ is an actual shop (sorta). Again, not trying to take anything away from you guys, I'm sure you do great work, and a lot of people do vouch for you.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Sorry, that came out wrong. I didn't mean you guys don't do good tunes, just that the prices are a bit much. I just figured because you are not doing it through a shop it would be cheaper (just like any other service, shops charge more, guys doing it as a side job charge less). PRJ is an actual shop (sorta). Again, not trying to take anything away from you guys, I'm sure you do great work, and a lot of people do vouch for you.

No worries...I didn't take it that way. I guess I'm just saying the spending 4-6 hours tuning a car that isn't mine for $150 isn't much incentive for me. I can also say, that if I took on tuning someone's car, I would want to make sure it was tuned right and that you felt in the end that it was worth it.

No worries...I didn't take it that way. I guess I'm just saying the spending 4-6 hours tuning a car that isn't mine for $150 isn't much incentive for me. I can also say, that if I took on tuning someone's car, I would want to make sure it was tuned right and that you felt in the end that it was worth it.

I agree with you there! Tuning can make or break a vehicle.. But hey, at least we do have knowledgeable guys on tuning in the area. Some areas don't have access to tuning, so I feel bad for them. And I know the cookie-cutter PCM's shops ship out are not that great...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info