Carnage Pics...Busted CV Axle

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
So long story short, I was out with PANDA last Sunday takin' some pics of my GTP. I figured that I'd get on the car to demonstrate the masterpiece of a transmission that Triple Edge Performance built for me. :jg:

Anyway, I get into the throttle, the tires break loose and I get out. I get back into the thottle, it hooks right into 2nd gear and the tires chirp loudly (I cringe. :dnc: )

About a second later there is a loud BAM and the car starts shaking violently. I shift into neutral and the RPMs rev..I shut the car down and coast to the curb about a good 50 car lenghts. By that time, there is smoke coming out of the front passenger tire. We both are like WTF and get out of the car.

As I come around the front of the car, I see motor oil pouring out to the curb. (Not:amsoil:). Expecting the worst, I start investigating ad determined the axle popped and hit the oil filter causing the gasket to fail.

Anyway, seems like the engine is fine. I have a HUGE mess of axle grease to clean up.

Enjoy

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

pic03.jpg

pic04.jpg

pic05.jpg

Broken1.jpg

Broken2.jpg

Last edited:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
wait now that i see pics...how int he hell did the tripod come out of the tulip? that sure as hell looks like the dia of the tripod on the filter and there aint no way the tulip got that close to the filter. almost like tha shaft was too short, there should be no way that tripod got outside that tulip unless the motor moved a shitload that tripod is inside the tulip by a damn inch and a half at normal ride height...is there any chance he replaced the axle or it got an aftermarket with a shorter shaft?

are there any gouge marks on the subframe where the axl may have smacked it when she hooked and those rubber mounts compressed?
edit was that small end of the boot pulled that far over before you removed the shaft?

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
wait now that i see pics...how int he hell did the tripod come out of the tulip? that sure as hell looks like the dia of the tripod on the filter and there aint no way the tulip got that close to the filter. almost like tha shaft was too short, there should be no way that tripod got outside that tulip unless the motor moved a shitload that tripod is inside the tulip by a damn inch and a half at normal ride height...is there any chance he replaced the axle or it got an aftermarket with a shorter shaft?

are there any gouge marks on the subframe where the axl may have smacked it when she hooked and those rubber mounts compressed?
edit was that small end of the boot pulled that far over before you removed the shaft?

The axles are SFPH HD "Bullet Proof" axles. :rollpicard: http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/SFPH/wbody/t_bulletproof_halfshafts.htm

I have a stock axle in the garage. I'll compare the length, etc tomorrow.

The axle did not come out of the tulip...I did that taking it out. (I left the tulip in the trans to keep the fluid from dripping out.)

The boot was ripped and I cannot find the "rollers" from the tripod joint. It's a tight fit between the axle and the oil filter. I think it might of been the boot clamp that kept hitting the oil filter as it was rotating. :dunno:

As for the small end of the boot, yep is was pulled towards the tulip.

EDIT: As for the motor mounts, I have a solid motor mount and a poly trans mount. The uppers are polly for the radiator mounts and stock rubber dog bones. The engine doesn;t rock or move.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
no wheels or needle bearings?!? wow you do not half ass destruction lol
i can garaneet you your motor moved a massive ammount i have proof from al's car that the radiator support and single rubber engine mount can move a ton under shock loads.
next time im in the garage ill get you the poly motor mount part number i have a spare horseshoe i can drill and setup for ya

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
no wheels or needle bearings?!? wow you do not half ass destruction lol
i can garaneet you your motor moved a massive ammount i have proof from al's car that the radiator support and single rubber engine mount can move a ton under shock loads.
next time im in the garage ill get you the poly motor mount part number i have a spare horseshoe i can drill and setup for ya

Yeah, that's why I ended up making the mounts I did...kept blowing axles due to engune/cradle movement.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Well got that axle repaired this morning at Lake Cook CV axle in Wheeling. They ended up putting a 1/2 longer shaft in to allow the tripod to ride deeper into the inner tulip. (Good call James.) Along with disassembling and inspecting the outer joint, a new tripod and new boots. Took 'em an hour and the cost was $75.

I'm going also to check to make sure the cradle isn't shifted or misaligned.

Now back to cleaning axle grease. :nutz:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info