Golf clap for me please

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
So today I had a little time after a barbecue with some friends. I wanted to mess around with the car little but im on a tight budget

So ive noticed since ive gotten the car that sometimes when using the heat or A/C ill get this thick moldy smell. Its really thick and stinks. Doesnt always do it though. It seems to do it mostly when its raining out.

Anyway im like I have to do something about this. So I go to the auto store to see if they have any spray or something. The guy tells me that I should replace the cabin filter. I didnt know that they had them. Well I found out that other w-bodys other than gp's came with them. I think the Regal?

So I picked that up and also a bottle of Febreeze. Pop off the cowl on the pass side and look in. The screen on top of the cowl was very dirty. Lots of leaves and dirt in the grooves. I removed that with a flat tip and soon enough I can see the fan. I start the fan up and start spraying a few sprays at a time of the Febreeze. I repeat this with all the diffrent settings (Floor, Dash, Mix, Heat, A/C, ect).

I popped in the air filter and walla. My air now smells very clean and crisp. I put everything back together and tested it out for about minutes. All in all it took about 30 min to do this job.

I suggest if anyone has a funky smell in there car to do the same. Especially since the heats coming and that A/C is going to be on.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
you might be too late. not only does the cabin filter get stinky if you never change it, but there may be growth on the evaporator. If the smell comes back and the cabin air filter isnt that bad, there's your problem.

Yeah thats what I was told. There never was a filter to begin with.

Where is the evaporator? Is that the silver canister on the driver side and where the pcm usually sits?

pumpgasgtp

May 10, 2009
nope. evaporator is inside the hvac assembly under the dash. You can't see it without taking alot of stuff out of the way. if the smell keeps returning, you may be able to kill the growth with special spray. on the downside, it could be clogged already and really start to effect the a/c performance.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
So today I had a little time after a barbecue with some friends. I wanted to mess around with the car little but im on a tight budget

So ive noticed since ive gotten the car that sometimes when using the heat or A/C ill get this thick moldy smell. Its really thick and stinks. Doesnt always do it though. It seems to do it mostly when its raining out.

Anyway im like I have to do something about this. So I go to the auto store to see if they have any spray or something. The guy tells me that I should replace the cabin filter. I didnt know that they had them. Well I found out that other w-bodys other than gp's came with them. I think the Regal?

So I picked that up and also a bottle of Febreeze. Pop off the cowl on the pass side and look in. The screen on top of the cowl was very dirty. Lots of leaves and dirt in the grooves. I removed that with a flat tip and soon enough I can see the fan. I start the fan up and start spraying a few sprays at a time of the Febreeze. I repeat this with all the diffrent settings (Floor, Dash, Mix, Heat, A/C, ect).

I popped in the air filter and walla. My air now smells very clean and crisp. I put everything back together and tested it out for about minutes. All in all it took about 30 min to do this job.

I suggest if anyone has a funky smell in there car to do the same. Especially since the heats coming and that A/C is going to be on.
did you check "cowl seal/rain deflector" if its out of place it can let water in the cabin (passenger side floor)?

perhaps it smells that way b/c the rain water is not draining out all of the way.

Also, a clogged drain elbow can flood the passenger floor as well.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
What hose are we talking about? What is clogged? I have never seen water in the pass side. Under the cowl was clean, but above it was dirty and now is clean.

There were two parts under the cowl. The left side was a small opening which had a divider. Was about the size of a fist. Right next to it was were the filter was placed.

What hose or where should I be looking for something clogged?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info