Need to swap out a GPGT Trans...

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
I need to swap out the transmission on the 2000 Grand Prix GT I just got. 4th gear won’t engage and it’ll run 1st gear up to 4000 rpm before shifting… I’ve never delt with front wheel drive transmissions. (I’ve done a bunch of RWD as well as rebuilt motors, ect & so-on.)

Do any of you have any pointers? Should I drop the cradle, pull the motor and then the trans, is there any special tools or tricks in doing this?

I have a large garage with a large box full of tools but no lift available to me...I may be able to get ahold of a hoist though.

Any input would be helpful.

jeff99gtp

Regular
Sep 9, 2008
i have always taken it out the top, pulled the motor and tranny out at the sametime. i think this is the easiest but i have never tryed dropping the craddle, i dont like to work on the ground alot, expessually cause it was winter and cament is very cold. but the only special too that i can think of is a thing that allows you to disconnect the fuel lines from the rail. i forget what its called, ohh and a really really long pry bar for poping off the driver side axle. its a bitch and a half! im sure more pple will chime in here and help you out.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i have always taken it out the top, pulled the motor and tranny out at the sametime. i think this is the easiest but i have never tryed dropping the craddle, i dont like to work on the ground alot, expessually cause it was winter and cament is very cold. but the only special too that i can think of is a thing that allows you to disconnect the fuel lines from the rail. i forget what its called, ohh and a really really long pry bar for poping off the driver side axle. its a bitch and a half! im sure more pple will chime in here and help you out.

Fuel line disconnect tool. You can buy one for under $20 at any auto parts store.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i yank em outta the top whenever i can...i pull the motor first then the trans, i can usually leave both axles in the car but it's a bit easier sometimes to at least pull the drivers side knuckle/axle out, i pop the pass axle outta the diff and weasle it out as i shift the trans to the drivers side (drivers side mount is off and the trans is swingin from the hoist)

to install i just insert the pass axle and slip the trans into place and pop the drivers side in. i've done it enough that i rarely pull the axles but it'd make it easier on ya to at the least pull the drivers side knuckle off the ball joint and pull the axle first.

btw i highly suggest going ahead and pulling the trans pan to remove all the trans fluid or the in car axle methode will result in an exon valdeze mess.

you can remove it from the bottom by supporting the motor from above and dropping the subframe but in reality it's the same ammount of work but will add to the bill due to the change in alignment unless you have subframe alignment rods/dowels

if comming out the bottom is what you want get two jacks on each side of the car unibodly rails and remove all motor/trans to unibody crap and the bottom stuff (aka tq converter bolts and covers-no need to remove the starter but it helps) and lower the subframe onto a 4 caster furniture dolly with wood shims to fill the gaps, and drop the whole motor/trans/struts and subframe by removing the bolts and jacking up the car, at this point you can roll the whole shebang out through the side wheel well area, and have full access like ya never dreamed of...

plenty of ways to skin a cat...er trans:roflpicard:

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have always done it by supporting the engine and then dropping the subframe, then the trans. I got the trans ready of come out by having everything disconnected except one bellhousing bolt. Then got the subframe out, then slide the trans out. Getting the trans back in the car with a engine hangin in the air sucks.

May 24, 2007
if you need help shoot me a pm. i may be able to come out and help you out. i have a hoist as well. i pull motors and transmissions all the time. actually just got done doing my trans. you can see in my photo albums. its really easy actually just takes time because you have to make sure everything is disconnected and out of the way but other than that its a walk in the park.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Thank you for the offer. So far its looking like I got a a buddy with a shop and hoist who'll help but it's always good to have another guy who's done a few too. I'll let you know when and where were doing it.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to do the LIM, oil pan and valve cover gaskets and waterpump. They don't show that they need it but I figure since the engine could be out entirely I might as well take advantage of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info