HORRIBLE Vibration..

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
So my mechanic replaced my flywheel.. as it was cracked. How? No clue. But.. He sent me home with the car yesterday saying it had a misfire. All of the plugs have only a few thousand miles on them and he for some reason put brand new wires on. Well..The car isn't misfiring. I did a WOT 60-90 pull on the highway and the car drives normally. Performs like it always has.

So.. my question here.

If a flywheel / "flex plate" is installed incorrectly or not properly torqued down, can it cause vibration at any rpm?

There is also a "click clack"ish noise under more than half throttle and from what I heard, that's how you can tell if you have a bad flexplate ? Someone help me out with this.. thanks in advance~

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
it feels like the car is jumping around even at idle sitting in park.

could this be the rpoblem what you said, shadow ?

yes. the flywheel has weights on it, and it can only go on one way. that doesn't explain the noise though. maybe he didn't torque the flexplate to the crank properly, or torque converter to flexplate. it is really hard to say what a noise is over the internet. i would take the car back right away and tell him to fix his fuckup.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
yes. the flywheel has weights on it, and it can only go on one way. that doesn't explain the noise though. maybe he didn't torque the flexplate to the crank properly, or torque converter to flexplate. it is really hard to say what a noise is over the internet. i would take the car back right away and tell him to fix his fuckup.

x2 man

although i've been able to bolt it up a few different ways, there is only ONE way for that flexplate to be bolted to the motor. if it's messed up, or he didnt loctite/replace the bolts, it could easily cause it to come loose, or unbalance the motor like you are talking about.

either way, dont drive it

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
Get a video of it. At least that way it can be told if its an injector "click" or otherwise.

Also, if there was a misfire, there would be a CEL. Doing a 60-90 run really doesn't prove much. And replacing the wires could always have an effect, and with the DIS system on the 3800's, its pretty easy for a coil pack to go out, and easier to replace.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
its at any speed. from sitting in park to highway speeds, increases with engine speed increase, a jumping up and down rapid movement, almost like a misfire but not. imagine having four out of balance tires at the same time a few ounces out, and thats what it feels like (but even then, sitting still in park.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info