TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=986&catid=138

986_1.jpg

I hope the welds are better than some of their exhaust products. :)

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
That design is kind of stupid actually. They put a poly bushing, a solid spherical, and a weak stock ball joint on it. They didn't even brace it at the bend...it's going to naturally fold in there.

I went with a bigger ball joint for a reason...it is stronger and costs less. A triangulated part is only as good as every point. You can get pairs of the stock ball joint for $30 shipped, or the better MOOG ones for about $50ish shipped (each), whichare still half as strong as the circle track standard press fits that cost only $12 a piece.

Cracks me up, I wouldn't run anything higher than 350hp with that.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
It doesn't matter. I used to get burned up by Zoomer all the time. I have been an internet "adversary" of his for going on 7 years now. I'm through with it. I got to a point last year where I just said fuck it; I really don't need to prove anything to anybody. I'd rather just enjoy the ride and have fun than worry about it all the time.

I'm not trying to bash them, just stating how I see the design.

PS: the ball joint pictured is an import I can get for $20-30 a pair. Company is called OEL

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
No thanks i will pass on that. They way its bent makes it inherently weak it should have extra bracing at least. The tubular lower control arms i made for my GTP use a larger ball joint and have mounting points similar to a h body or f body lower front control arm and don't use a large sweep bend to the front. However i had to tig weld new bracketry to my sub-frame for this control to work.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
No thanks i will pass on that. They way its bent makes it inherently weak it should have extra bracing at least. The tubular lower control arms i made for my GTP use a larger ball joint and have mounting points similar to a h body or f body lower front control arm and don't use a large sweep bend to the front. However i had to tig weld new bracketry to my sub-frame for this control to work.

Pics please

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
i think they would help with launch control, and the ball joint could just be replaced with a moog unit if someone was concerned about it.

however....500 bucks is a bit much for me....

ron-any opinion on the thrasher style torque arms?

I made my own several years back. They work really well, I just went the LCA route to use them on the street too.

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
Pics please

I'm in michigan at the moment so i don't have acess to my car. I used to have some pics of them up on my fquick page.

Without a tubing bender and dies and a good welder it will be quite difficult to duplicate.

I orginally purchased the bender to build some stuff for my jeep project. I built a roll cage, bumpers, roof rack rock sliders, but it wasn't until i did some custom long arms that i got the idea to build tubular control arms for the gtp.

I used a jd2 model 4 tubing bender. It works very well here is a link to the site.http://www.jd2.com/

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
honestly, zoom is pissing me off about as much as people that take the bumper support bars, and core support braces off, then daily drive the car and dont blink an eye at it. Do you think GM did what they did for no reason? I prefer not to die if i ever get in a collision.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
honestly, zoom is pissing me off about as much as people that take the bumper support bars, and core support braces off, then daily drive the car and dont blink an eye at it. Do you think GM did what they did for no reason? I prefer not to die if i ever get in a collision.

high five.

I cannot imagine taking out my front bumper support no matter how much power i needed. just dumb.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info