When tuning your car and you have a happy knob

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
in layman mustang owner terms plz. thanks. lol

thiz be the 3800 section yo.....

In the pcm on our cars, there is a table that adds or retards timing based on the intake air temp sensor(it is a basic thermistor) we change those settings so specific temps add the amounts of timing we like, them replace the IAT sensor with a poteentiometer (a variable resistor) to add or subtract timing on the fly....

He had pluged in his IAT with the happy knob table in the pcm still, thus too much timing....

I think it can affect fueling too

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
in layman mustang owner terms plz. thanks. lol

with the happy knob, you basically have a table/chart where you can preset timing adjustment.... you have a knob somewhere in/on the car, some have it in their gauge-pod cluster, mine is under the hood... and it tricks the car into having a specific IAT and then you insert you positive or negative spark values

like for instance, when i set my knob to 0*C, when I'm above 50% throttle, the knob causes the pcm to command an additional 10* spark over stock

then you spread it out over a -10C,0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70*C values and like my 40 values are 0 which means when i set it at 40, my WOT timing is stock

like when I was at the track day or if I was running 100octane i might adjust it to 30 and bump up timing by 4* if i wanted to

it really helps if its hot out and you want to back off on timing rather than get kr and have the car do it for you the bad way lol

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
thiz be the 3800 section yo.....

In the pcm on our cars, there is a table that adds or retards timing based on the intake air temp sensor(it is a basic thermistor) we change those settings so specific temps add the amounts of timing we like, them replace the IAT sensor with a poteentiometer (a variable resistor) to add or subtract timing on the fly....

He had pluged in his IAT with the happy knob table in the pcm still, thus too much timing....

I think it can affect fueling too

afaik its only timing adjustments, but it might be different with HPtuners... im on oldschool powrtuner hah

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• The Broken Regal
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list