Strange happenings

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
Can anyone explain this?

I changed the front O2 sensor on Sunday. Monday (first time driving the car since I changed the sesnsor), the gas guage was all over the place. I know I only had half a tank, but the needle would peg to full, and my range on the DIC would show about 414 miles, which is normal for having a full tank for me. Then, the guage would decide that the car had NO gas whatsoever, and would bottom out and the gas light would go on. The range would drop to "low". The needle would then fluctuate from what seemed to be the correct amount, all the way to both extremes, and stopping anywhere in between as well. The range on the DIC would pretty much follow where the needle went.

OK, so now its tuesday. Fill up with a full tank. Needle pegs to full. Great. after 20 feet of driving, the needle drops to E, and the light goes on again. Needle then fluctuates for a few miles, then drops to E again. Now, my range shows --- (three dahses), like its not getting a signal at all from the guage/sensor in the tank. After a while it goes back to full (in my mind it is reading correctly at this time) and stays there until I start the car again, and it starts all over again. Same story on Wednesday.

Today, the guage worked as it should...no issues at all. I have burned some gallons and am down to a little over half tank, and the needle is steady right where it should be.

Were these issues related to the O2 sensor beng changed, or just purely coincedence?? Anyone expereince this before, or have any insight?

FYI, all other data for the DIC were reporting correctly the whole time.

~Rich

I

imported_GraFFix

Id say coincedence...

Might be the fuel pump assembly float. There is a float that is attached to the assembly, that is attached to some metal sensors on the assembly itself. there are 2 little metal tabs that make contact with the sensors on the assembly...when the float moves it send that to your gas gauge. Its a known issue on older GP's My 97 had the same issue. Although Mine would start going crazy if I went under a 1/4 tank...then it would read overfull on my gauge...once I got down to really low gas it would read correct again but anywhere in that middle it was screwed up. People say is a resistor that goes bad but on my car when I replaced the assembly I looked at it just looked like the 2 little tabs where worn from the constant back and forth motion and just werent making good contract.

Not sure about a fix other then getting a new assembly. but thats like $300+ (or $120 ebay). you could always pull the assembly out its not that hard and check that when the float is moving those little tabs are making good contact. maybe you can bend them out a little if there not?

Might not be the problem but it sounds like thats what it is. GL

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Sep 11 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Id say coincedence...

Might be the fuel pump assembly float. There is a float that is attached to the assembly, that is attached to some metal sensors on the assembly itself. there are 2 little metal tabs that make contact with the sensors on the assembly...when the float moves it send that to your gas gauge. Its a known issue on older GP's My 97 had the same issue. Although Mine would start going crazy if I went under a 1/4 tank...then it would read overfull on my gauge...once I got down to really low gas it would read correct again but anywhere in that middle it was screwed up. People say is a resistor that goes bad but on my car when I replaced the assembly I looked at it just looked like the 2 little tabs where worn from the constant back and forth motion and just werent making good contract.

Not sure about a fix other then getting a new assembly. but thats like $300+ (or $120 ebay). you could always pull the assembly out its not that hard and check that when the float is moving those little tabs are making good contact. maybe you can bend them out a little if there not?

Might not be the problem but it sounds like thats what it is. GL[/b]

I was thinking that was the issue as well. But the fact that I JUST changed the O2 sensor made me second guess it, and had me thinking the two were related.

Its been normal for the past few days. I'll see how it reacts when teh tank gets lower and see if it acts up again. If so, i'll pull the assembly and take a look.

Thanks for the input.

~Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Rich
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list