I think its broke....

• Thread starter imported_GraFFix
  • Start date
I

imported_GraFFix

Well yesterday I was driving and all of a sudden the car seemed to fall flat on its face...From a stop the car seems to be misfireing really bad. And according to my scanmaster im getting a SES for a misfire on cyl 4 and 15 degrees of knock going 5mph lol. Now might not be the best thing but if I give the car alot of gas it seems to stop the misfire and the knock goes way down or almost completely away. I really dont hear any new noises, so im not sure what it could be. I had to drive it home from schaumburg to the city and the temps where fine the whole way, and the car drove fine except for the sputtering and knock issues till i get up to speed then its not as bad. hope I didnt finally chunk a piston or something..the Mustang doesnt make a good winter beater lol

Any ideas on what I broke? Im gonna head out to the garage and pull the plug and see how it looks. Any other ideas?

I

imported_GraFFix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Sep 7 2008, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hate to tell you, if you smashed a plug, 99% of the time, you chipped a piston. something had to chip it.... :([/b]

honestly as long as the car drives ok then all the pistons can be chipped lol...cars got to last me 2 more months then ill be shopping around for a new ride. she has served me well the past 7-8 years but its time to move on.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Actually it's been my experience that when you have a chipped piston the car will act normal in the higher RPMs and cruising and will noticeably misfire at idle. It's a chipped piston for sure. I wonder if it didn't let go from a previous WOT excursion.

I

imported_GraFFix

Well like I said I replaced the plug and the car is running fine again...No misfires, no SES...Not sure if it is a piston and like I said as long as this thing runs for the next 2 months then its cool with me After that let it be someone elses problem.

I

imported_GraFFix

Well I guess i did chip a piston...the car drives fine until you give it like half throttle then it seems to fall on its face and gets 10-15 degrees of knock. But if you drive semi normal and just take it easy it drives fine and sees no knock. So all in all Ill see how long this lasts and ill be saving gas in the meantime cause I cant get on it anymore lol.

Anyone got a thrasher 3.4 modular pulley? Ill trade ya a 3.25 for it or just buy it from ya.

I

imported_GraFFix

Thanks Hale..always bringing the good news to the table. lol

Well not sure if it is or not...the car is running just like before untill i give it about half throttle...If the piece is still bouncing around in there i would think it would of smashed the plug again already.

Screw it Ill drive it till it dies then deal with it. No more money is going into this car. You know ive never gotten that fire recall done...maybe Ill get lucky and the fucker will start on fire. Shes worth more burnt then running at this point haha

I

imported_GraFFix

Yea I was gonna do that tonight... :(

Ahh well I knew she wouldnt last forever...160K miles now. Numerous trips to the track, even more beatings on the streat and only 3 trannys. Plus I was never one to baby the car...drive it like you stole it. Bound to happen eventually.

Probably gonna start going through stuff and start selling.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Sep 9 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here is a crappy pic of said plug....this is exaclty how i pulled it out minus a little cleaning.

Anyone want to buy a GP? lol[/b]

The gap looks like it was closed more then smashed. Granted, something still needs to close it.

I

imported_GraFFix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emersonhart13 @ Sep 9 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is the replacement going to be?[/b]
Well most likely its going to be an older car...I dont want a huge car payment. But even before I bought the GP I was looking at Jeep Cherokees and I still am so I'll probably pick up a 98-03 Cherokee Sport with the indestructable straight 6 4.0. Throw a little lift kit and some bigger tires and Ill be happy.

But other cars I've been looking at if i feel like splurging when the time comes.... G35, Lincoln LS, CTS or a M3

I guess well have to see what I find when its time to buy...and how generous im feeling to myself lol

I

imported_GraFFix

ok now im totally confused...

Went to lunch and the car is driving fine, no knock at all even if im getting on the car. It feels like normal. She even had her power back...I dont get it!?!

Either way, 2 months and shes gone. But im still confused lol

I

imported_GraFFix

yea there are a bunch fo cars out there that I like...but for some reason that Jeep keeps calling me and its the cheapest of all the them.

If i stay cheep I can get a nice lower milage Jeep for 6k or so and it will run forever. If i splurge I dont want to spend more then 15k and with some of the cars Ive listed it might be a little hard to find something in that range. (IE: G35 or M3)

Most likely Ill be buying a Jeep lol. Plus I kind of like the idea of off roading with it. I did it once out in Vegas in the mountains and its a blast...mustang for fun/speed, the jeep to run shit over and get me to work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info