replacing fuel pump

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
hey fellas-

Im fairly mechanically inclined (can handle spark plugs, S/C coupler, etc) but im not too comfy replacing the fuel pump on my own. is there anybody out there willing to give me a hand? I'll pay ya in food or whatever or cash (which yogi says is just as good as money, haha!)

car starts hard cold, but runs well otherwise (now, after the failed MAF fiasco this weekend) seems the pump is bleeding pressure while off... (will likely want to replace the FPR at the same time, just to be safe)

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
hmmm yeah that's what i was going to do, replace the whole assembly. i thoroughly believe that it is easier than i think it will be, but i always seem to find a way to muck something up in the process.... dont really wanna blow myself up, ya know

lol :)

... i guess the only things that could go wrong are A) cant get retaining ring off, B ) cant get fuel lines off, C) drop something in tank or D) cant get retaining ring back on...

I

imported_GraFFix

lol good luck with that new O-ring...I never cursed so much at my car. I tried everything, soap, oil, hammer! haha

Now I bought a FP assembly off Ebay and it wasnt a GM one...so maybe the GM O-rings are different but they are also 200 bucks more then I payed. Its an easy job but the angle that you have to work at doesnt give you alot of leverage to press the assembly down into the tank. Just make sure you have the snap ring and pliers close cause once its seated if you let go it will pop back up. Also my snap ring was a little rusty so I picked one up from the dealer for 7 bucks.

Ohh and I ended up using my old O-ring off the bad pump...after an hour of trying to press the assembly down with the new o-ring I gave up. I swapped the old o-ring on and it went in on the first shot. I think I swore some more after that cause it went in so easy. lol

good luck!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Jul 8 2008, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
lol good luck with that new O-ring...I never cursed so much at my car. I tried everything, soap, oil, hammer! haha

Now I bought a FP assembly off Ebay and it wasnt a GM one...so maybe the GM O-rings are different but they are also 200 bucks more then I payed. Its an easy job but the angle that you have to work at doesnt give you alot of leverage to press the assembly down into the tank. Just make sure you have the snap ring and pliers close cause once its seated if you let go it will pop back up. Also my snap ring was a little rusty so I picked one up from the dealer for 7 bucks.

Ohh and I ended up using my old O-ring off the bad pump...after an hour of trying to press the assembly down with the new o-ring I gave up. I swapped the old o-ring on and it went in on the first shot. I think I swore some more after that cause it went in so easy. lol

good luck![/b]

see, it's posts like this that scare me!

:lolsign:

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
I did the drop in and this is what my car looks like now.

car-fi1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info