ZZP Downpipe Exhaust leak

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
Installed my 3" D/P from ZZP yesterday, and could not get the damn thing to seal at the resonator. Spent about an hour trying to get it seal. Flipped the gasket everyway possible. One thing I didnt check to see is if the flanges were completely flat. Other than that being the possible issue, what else should I look for? Anything else i can do to get this thing to seal up?

Thanks.

~Rich

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1quick98_gs @ Jun 23 2008, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
did you get the metal gaskets for it, thats all I used and it sealed right up, you may hear a more mettal ting type sound from it but thats due to having no cat.

Brett[/b]

Definately a leak...I could feel it when the car was on the lift. I bought the gaskets from ZZP, so I used whatever they sell. Does the rear gasket fit a certain way? The center ring of the gasket is double walled, where the outer ends where the bolts go through is single. Kinda makes me think that when I tighten the bolts, the flanges deflect a bit because the sides of the flanges are being pulled in tighter because there is no gasket to crush down on, and this is what is causing the leak.

Anyway, I'll probably just get some "Permatex copper stuff" and seal it up. I'll have to wait about a week, cause I have no place to do this now. All my jacks and jack stands are under the Vette right now, which is getting a full rebuild of the front suspension.

Thanks for the responses.

~Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info