3.4" on 04+ GPs

dragon_7xs

Jun 21, 2008
hi guys
im new on this forum and hopin that u guys can help me,
I have an 06 GP and i wanna use a 3.4" pulley but on other forums ppl r tellin me not to use it unless i have an intercooler.
curretly:
DHP PCM (tuned for 3.4)
180 stat
MSD wires with NGK Iridium IX plugs
Power log
Wizaird Intake
3" DP with 3" piping out all the way to Magnaflow mufflers ( no CAT )

So do u guys think that this would run safely?
any 04+ owners? help please!

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dragon_7xs @ Jun 21 2008, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hi guys
I have an 06 GP and i wanna use a 3.4" pulley but on other forums ppl r tellin me not to use it unless i have an intercooler.
curretly:
DHP PCM (tuned for 3.4)
180 stat
Power log
Wizaird Intake

any 04+ owners? help please![/b]
dont know what forums your on but there on crack.....lol

what have you done exhaust wise...

otherwise i think your pretty safe now, you would have to scan for KR after you get it on other than that you would be ok...

where you out of?

dragon_7xs

Jun 21, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jun 21 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dragon_7xs @ Jun 21 2008, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi guys
curretly:
DHP PCM (tuned for 3.4)
180 stat
Power log
Wizaird Intake

any 04+ owners? help please![/b]
dont know what forums your on but there on crack.....lol

what have you done exhaust wise...

otherwise i think your pretty safe now, you would have to scan for KR after you get it on other than that you would be ok...

where you out of?
[/b][/quote]

where am i out of?
yeah for the exhaust its straight 3" pipe all the way with no cat.
im gettin the pulley with in the next coupla weeks its on the way.
yeah im gettin an Aero Force gauge to scan it b4 and after i get it put on
so how much horse power do u think ill get with a 3.4?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
from my experience, a 3.4 will be too much boost unless tuned out by overfueling it. i did a build a while back for a member that used a 3.2 pulley, with ssic, rockers and headers, and 3.2 was perfect. different setup, but same senario. i would imagine that you should start with a 3.6 (just get a mps) and work your way onto headers/rockers to drop to the 3.4. like 1_quick said, a 3.2 on a gen3 is like a 3.4 on a gen5.

remember, on a gen3 car it takes two of the following to run a 3.2 without being too rich-intercooler/rockers/headers/cam.

also, you shouldnt mod for pulley sizes. you should mod for boost levels. start with keeping it at 12psi and see what happens. if you can run more, then do it

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Jun 22 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
from my experience, a 3.4 will be too much boost unless tuned out by overfueling it. i did a build a while back for a member that used a 3.2 pulley, with ssic, rockers and headers, and 3.2 was perfect. different setup, but same senario. i would imagine that you should start with a 3.6 (just get a mps) and work your way onto headers/rockers to drop to the 3.4. like 1_quick said, a 3.2 on a gen3 is like a 3.4 on a gen5.

remember, on a gen3 car it takes two of the following to run a 3.2 without being too rich-intercooler/rockers/headers/cam.

also, you shouldnt mod for pulley sizes. you should mod for boost levels. start with keeping it at 12psi and see what happens. if you can run more, then do it[/b]
i agree, this is the safest way to go about doing this....if your going to have the ability to scan, you might as well use it

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Id rather be safe then sorry. You can only push then engines to a certain point. Id do the 3.5 first and then go big with and IC, Cam, Rockers, Headers to go to smaller sizes from there.

Back in the day when I had my TOGS, IC and 3.0, the car(99gtp) was amazingly fast. Add on top of that the Shitense race trans with 3.29 gearing and the higher TC, well, was awsome! I really do miss it but got tired of the whole scanning crap all the time when the weather changed.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dragon_7xs @ Jun 22 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so i kinda understand from coupla posts that if i use headers that might workout for me? cause i really dont wanna take my engine appart and i still have warrantee on that thing![/b]

I think you just voided it!!!!

headers wont void it but they will start to look for other things, like your pulley, so becarful!

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
coming from a tech at a dealership, ANY modification to the car that would add hp, thats not factory, will void the warranty. as far as engine/trans related problems anyway...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
RaceMyGTP Posted Today, 06:03 PM
my car is fine with a 3.3, but maybe i have a freak. who knows![/b]

an 04+? if so, im sure it is running pig rich.

dragon_7xs

Jun 21, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Jun 22 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dragon_7xs @ Jun 22 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so i kinda understand from coupla posts that if i use headers that might workout for me? cause i really dont wanna take my engine appart and i still have warrantee on that thing![/b]

I think you just voided it!!!!

headers wont void it but they will start to look for other things, like your pulley, so becarful!
[/b][/quote]
I got the push on or wat ever u call it pulley, so when ever i take it in ill just swap it b4 goin in.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Jun 22 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
coming from a tech at a dealership, ANY modification to the car that would add hp, thats not factory, will void the warranty. as far as engine/trans related problems anyway...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

[/b][/quote]

I though intake and exhaust work did not count? I swear ive read a bunch of articles from K&N and muffler companies in a lawsuit about this issue.

dragon_7xs

Jun 21, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Jun 23 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Jun 22 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

[/b][/quote]

I though intake and exhaust work did not count? I swear ive read a bunch of articles from K&N and muffler companies in a lawsuit about this issue.
[/b][/quote]
no it doesnt count for those things, i asked the forman at the GM dealer coupla days ago here, i asked him about installing headers, exhaust and intake he said no, nothin like that voids it unless we can prove that wat ever problem occured is due to those mods

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
that foreman is wrong. ANY modification to the engine, will void the warranty like that. think about it. if the motor blows, you have headers. you added horsepower, we know it didnt cause it, but if gm came down to inspect the problem, and saw it was mod'd, they would kick the claim, and the dealer would be in trouble. so thats why most places wont even work on them if they are modded

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
FWIW I would not put a 3.4 with only those mods. 3.5 at the most! I have all the mods you have minus exhaust and still get some kr with a 3.6 pulley. I run stock pcm but even when i had DHP KR was about the same. Yeah you probably can get away with running a 3.4 but I dont think its in your best interest.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info